Voksen
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

Since no one has posted it yet...

Great to see an spriest place that well.

I realize a lot of it had to do with initial matchmaking, but you guys pulled off some good wins. sp/ele/druid is something a lot of us tried and hated, but you guys stuck to your guns and worked through it. Looking forward to the upcoming MLG and other tournaments before Cata.

Gratz on reppin' the spec so well and at a tournament level...something no one has done since the "annoying caster train" shadowplay days of kollektiv/masud/offcell and others.

#2 Loreen

Loreen
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

wooo!

#3 Eskemoqt

Eskemoqt
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline
  • RBG: 2302

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

agreed
:P

#4 Knaittiz

Knaittiz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Affliction
  • 2v2: 574
  • 3v3: 3067
  • RBG: 1744
  • LocationFinland

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

'-'
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

BUY MY MIXTAPE

#5 ferz

ferz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Arms 0/1/1/2/1/1

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:06 PM

yeah it was great to see them get outplayed but still make it

GJ

#6 Witness

Witness
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Gorgonnash
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:22 PM

something no one has done since the "annoying caster train" shadowplay days of kollektiv/masud/offcell and others.

And as we all know, their play was far from annoying.

when a person doesn't enter arena until the gates open ( like it ends up in 2v3 ), the arena match isn't counted and is automatically a draw when the gates open ( without the annoying -16 for both teams ), thus no one gains or loses pts/MMR.

I would've loved this back in s5/s6 when my microwave would interfere with my router if someone started using it so I had a rule that nobody was allowed to use the microwave while I did arena.

#7 Voksen

Voksen
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:29 PM

Agree it wasn't the greatest to watch. Its a defensive cheese in its own right. Like I said, most of us noticed this from the TR and decided against playing the comp on live ladders since most ppl have better things to do then 20 minute games and would rather "get on with" the queues for more intense action/minute.

But nonetheless they found a way to play the game and beat people regardless of being outplayed or not...its no different than the initial success of beast cleave. Half the skill in WoW is outside the arena, much like formula1. There is a lot of technical planning in selecting comps/specs/gearing and figuring out how to most readily exploit the metagame. This tournament we'll likely see counter-comping, multiclassing, and 4-person rosters prevail over extreme skill with an all-around comp.

I missed a lot of the regionals due to the streams cutting in and out, so looking to get a closer look at their play this weekend. With MLG's double elim format and "more qualified" teams in the lineup, they won't be able to cheese through the ranks as easily.

#8 Sawj

Sawj
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

what a dumb post
-.-

#9 Poseyx

Poseyx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Arcane 0/0/0/2/0/2
  • LocationNY

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

Yeah this team showed some MAD skills, they are the bestest team in the world and have the most skill
www.Twitch.tv/wushington - Multi Gladiator feral stream

Mrlindv - Youtube channel

#10 Voksen

Voksen
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

what a dumb post

Why? I wanted to get some discussion going, and remind people that Talbadar has shown spriests are tournament viable, as he announced many times on WoM/etc. The comp is lame but it got 2nd at regionals. You can deal with that however you like. I'll offer congratulations since its been a long time coming.

The comp adheres to all the rules just like beast cleave does, only its in the other extreme. Unfortunately a lot of kids have trouble accepting or following a slower paced game. Must be the attention deficit that is bred into youth who don't know anything but instant gratification. Got half a boner? Jerk one off. Didn't like how long a post was? TLDR and QQ about it. Don't see big crits on the screen or can't 2-shot people? Throw in the towel, grab another energy drink and swap over to your twitchy 3-button FOTM comp? Spain won the world cup with such a playstyle...it sucks to watch, but it worked all the way. The ultimate tactic in most games of skill is playing for a draw - it rapes most scenarios in game-theory. Grats on mastering the turtle, grats on showing spriests can be on a roster at tournaments, and grats on showing that zerg/burst isn't the only way to win games.

#11 Witness

Witness
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Gorgonnash
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

I don't get it why so many people cling on to their shadow priest and expect to be respected for their 'great' play. Shadow priests are an easier to play version of warlocks with different gimmicky mechanics their viability depends on.
Well, when I think about it he actually helped out shadow priests: He showed that a spec as gimmicky as shadow priest still was able to stick around through so many revamps.
Shadow just needs a complete overhaul because the current concept is not working out.

when a person doesn't enter arena until the gates open ( like it ends up in 2v3 ), the arena match isn't counted and is automatically a draw when the gates open ( without the annoying -16 for both teams ), thus no one gains or loses pts/MMR.

I would've loved this back in s5/s6 when my microwave would interfere with my router if someone started using it so I had a rule that nobody was allowed to use the microwave while I did arena.

#12 Eraser

Eraser
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone
  • Talents:

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

what a dumb post

+1

#13 Evercleared

Evercleared
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/1/2/0/2

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

Triple healer is pretty sweet to be honest.

#14 Ctuhlu

Ctuhlu
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

Aidsplay (Talbadar's team in particular) is to WoW arena what 'the trap' strategy is to NHL hockey.

Effective, but boring as fuck.

#15 Eay

Eay
  • Tumult
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

Since no one has posted it yet...

Great to see an spriest place that well.

I realize a lot of it had to do with initial matchmaking, but you guys pulled off some good wins. sp/ele/druid is something a lot of us tried and hated, but you guys stuck to your guns and worked through it. Looking forward to the upcoming MLG and other tournaments before Cata.

Gratz on reppin' the spec so well and at a tournament level...something no one has done since the "annoying caster train" shadowplay days of kollektiv/masud/offcell and others.

most of the time, I think you have a lot good things to say and I enjoy reading your posts.

this is not one of those times.

why would you want your beloved shadow spec be portraied like it was during the regionals? did you watch it btw? they made the whole thing unbearable. I stopped watching because I couldn't stand watching their games, it was dreadful and painful to sit thru a whole series.

#16 Sawj

Sawj
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

Shadow Priests aren't bad anymore + the comp dumbs down the class
-.-

#17 Mity

Mity
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • LocationOKC

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image
@shitixmikesays

#18 imbah

imbah
  • Members

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

Spain won the world cup with such a playstyle...it sucks to watch, but it worked all the way.

US....

Spoiler

#19 Voksen

Voksen
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

Shadow Priests aren't bad anymore + the comp dumbs down the class

You're right Sawj. Maybe I'm praising them a bit much...just felt like someone from the priest forums should step up and at least acknowledge the placement of a fellow shadowpriest.

A lot of specs aren't terrible anymore...and the entire game is already pretty dumbed down. Once you're this far into a game, there isn't much left to prove or innovate. We've seen just about everything at these tournaments.

Why so much hate now?

Over the years there have been tourneys that where nothing but 2 or 3 comps (usually melee/caster/healer) were represented. We've been through tourneys which were almost entirely RMP vs. RMP...tourneys which were dominated by cleaves, and now tourneys which are dominated by wizards.

For years spriests were shit and these forums were a place of QQ that shadow was too weak etc etc and there were very few heroes. Now we're too OP (btw almost exclusively due to bloodlust mechanics which almost any experienced spriest will remind you of). Again, most of the OPness comes from damage spikes during lust and/or the mana longevity and turtle-ability in certain comps.

One of the things we haven't witnessed with any real degree of success was the kind of play we saw from arenapwnage. Its sloppy but it requires a LOT of patience. ELE is faceroll and spriests during lust are pretty faceroll. However, the defensive patience and knowing when to pop/time offensive cooldowns has to be worth something.

Every comp is about as intricate or a simple as you want to make it. Seeing homogeneity throughout (i.e. nothing but balacned comps like melee/caster/healer) the course of WoW tournaments would have been equally dull to watch and follow.

#20 Voksen

Voksen
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

US....

Spoiler

EU not getting to the point of the matter. The skill level is up for debate, I'm not here to argue about that. The comparison I was making is that the playstyle was a bit cheesy and boring to watch for people who like to see offensive (high scoring) games. And ultimately, whether it was skillful or not, cheesy or not, boring or not...it happened to win out for the teams that played like it or played well against it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<