Photo

Sacred Shield removed in Cata

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#101 pinkbufalo

pinkbufalo
  • Members

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

I'm sure Blizzard will balance it out, hopefully in time. However in the current state of the game paladins rely on SS and Holy Shock for their characteristic dynamic healing. If you take SS away you'll go back to TBC state during which paladins could hardly heal without having to cast. Add a Holy Shock bug and you're forced to cast, get interrupted and die. Imagine any wizcleave vs. a holy paladin with no sacred shield. Dies in a blanket CS.

It's true though that most paladins know just what to do so their holy shock doesn't bug, I'm just mentioning this because the importance of said ability will be drastically bigger with the removal of SS.

edit:- on the matter of healing with word of glory, I don't see it being as useful as it's being put, simply because generating holy power isn't as easy as it seems. Or at least, it's not as easy as other classes' new mechanisms (shadow orbs). Nevertheless, we must highlight that all the newly introduced abilities have been put into the game thinking of level 85, so clearly we will not really know for sure how things plan out to be without firstly reaching the level cap, once more, and playing with somewhat equal gear. (which btw I hope will be more accessible than the first deadly set during wotlk)

On the beta whenever you take damage you get holy power and if you heal beacon of light you get holy power you get 3 stacks pretty fast word of glory is nice

#102 Arias

Arias
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Holy 0/1/1/2/1/1/1
  • 3v3: 1665
  • RBG: 1139

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

Yeah from what it seems like in cata you could just heal with mostly casts/occasional HS and then save HS/WG/whatever the 31pt talent is for emergencies. The biggest issue with lack of Sacred Shield is we return completely to a reactive style of healing, while other healers all have some form of proactive healing (bubble, earthshield, hots). At least with SS we could put it up before a CC chain and maybe it keeps the target alive until we get out, now you'll just have to pray and rely on your partners more and hope that Blizzard gets damage to health ratios right in Cataclysm, otherwise you're kinda fucked against heavy CC teams if you're not already.

#103 bojanglez

bojanglez
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:34 PM

if we get globalled ss doesnt really matter anyway. just 1 stupid fucking rng fear in to the shitty open and its game over. spamming freedom salvation (if u have the glyph) holy shock trying to get some crits for instant flash of light cause if u stand still are just completetly fucked, might make it to a pillar NVM SHADOWFURY ... or some other shitty freeze or knockback will be there...

and this is different for any other healer how? if that happens to a priest hes dead if it happens to a shaman hes dead if it happens to a druid hes also dead unless he has full hots rolling
Posted ImagePosted Image

#104 Shielina

Shielina
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents:

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:43 PM

if we get globalled ss doesnt really matter anyway. just 1 stupid fucking rng fear in to the shitty open and its game over. spamming freedom salvation (if u have the glyph) holy shock trying to get some crits for instant flash of light cause if u stand still are just completetly fucked, might make it to a pillar NVM SHADOWFURY ... or some other shitty freeze or knockback will be there...

More like.. "Shadowfurying, nvm miss, yay for sacred cleansing.."

#105 Powerslave

Powerslave
  • Premium Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Emeriss
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Arms 0/0/0/1/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 2032
  • 3v3: 2100
  • 5v5: 1900
  • RBG: 1797

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

they rly removed SS? All this time I assumed it was a bug with the beta client
Timeless guide to warrior : http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#106 Mojjen

Mojjen
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Bladefist
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:55 PM

More like.. "Shadowfurying, nvm miss, yay for sacred cleansing.."

ye cause sacred cleansing is always up on ourself man, defenitly ...
Posted Image

#107 Starcookie

Starcookie
  • Premium Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Naxxramas
  • Sturmangriff / Charge
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

they rly removed SS? All this time I assumed it was a bug with the beta client

It's gone.

#108 Kairu

Kairu
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

and this is different for any other healer how? if that happens to a priest hes dead if it happens to a shaman hes dead if it happens to a druid hes also dead unless he has full hots rolling

This changes the fact that 'globalling paladins is easy'?
:paladin: WotLK!
Spoiler

#109 ratzor

ratzor
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Nordrassil
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

ye cause sacred cleansing is always up on ourself man, defenitly ...

ALL THE TIME. No seriously, if you get swapped to, obviously you haven't dispelled anything on yourself to even proc the talent, so 9.5 out of 10 times it's not gonna be up. And even if it is, it's pretty RNGy, and might not save you against the wrath of a true harry potter duet.

well every healer has an OH SHIZ button. Paladins need to bubble, which make them a really easy target after that if partners don't know how to peel. When I play my druid I never go oom anyway so I always keep a rejuv on myself with more than 5 sec on it as well for emergency swiftmends etc, barkskin while feared as well, etc. The only healer I see getting raped here would be shamans, even the ones who wear 1.4k resi (most of them). A paladin with bubble down and getting purged while fear (of SS) is even weaker than a shaman imo. Paladins don't run around with 1.4k resil, can't ground or absorb while silenced or ghostwolf that Aftermath (this is all an example)

#110 Arrann

Arrann
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/2/2/1/2/2
  • 2v2: 2047
  • 3v3: 2137

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:54 PM

The biggest issue with lack of Sacred Shield is we return completely to a reactive style of healing, while other healers all have some form of proactive healing (bubble, earthshield, hots).

This, I couldn't have said it better
Xfire: Arrannlol

The Paladin Slayer
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#111 Incendaldin

Incendaldin

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:23 AM

Yeah from what it seems like in cata you could just heal with mostly casts/occasional HS and then save HS/WG/whatever the 31pt talent is for emergencies. The biggest issue with lack of Sacred Shield is we return completely to a reactive style of healing, while other healers all have some form of proactive healing (bubble, earthshield, hots). At least with SS we could put it up before a CC chain and maybe it keeps the target alive until we get out, now you'll just have to pray and rely on your partners more and hope that Blizzard gets damage to health ratios right in Cataclysm, otherwise you're kinda fucked against heavy CC teams if you're not already.

Currently HS on Beta hits for about 6k, crits for 10k. So, like live, except in full ilvl 333 gear and 5 more levels. Obviously not finalized.

It's not even that we've gone entirely back to reactive healing, we've gone past that into RNG healing. I'd heavily doubt that Holy Shock would be "allowed" to be our only pvp heal.

Its very RNG-ish in this build with Daybreak (20% on FoL/HL/DL to make your next HS not use the CD).

With Holy Shock generating Holy Power, this proc basically leads to 3 holy shocks instead of 1 (2 Shocks and a WoG) which is not only a lot of healing, it's incredibly efficient.

Shock crits make Holy Light near instant cast, which basically makes it a RNG circle. Really high HPS if you're lucky (even cost effective) and really low if you're not. Then you have to fall back to FoL / DL (Lol 2.4s cast) which are each about 7k mana.

Imagine getting out of a poly and having your holy shock hit, forcing a ~1.7-1.9 Holy Light only for that to not proc and then you have to spam FoL for 6.3k mana per cast.

Then compare it to that shock critting, making that Holy Light somewhere around 0.7s, and it proccing Daybreak which 2-3 seconds later will give you 2 shocks and a WoG, which costs about 4k mana total and is all instant.

Light of Dawn is currently terrible, costing about 5k mana (~7% of my total mana on my premade) and hitting for 5k (Slightly less than a holy shock). Again, assuming it gets its numbers tweaked, but I doubt it would be massive.

#112 Mightlol

Mightlol
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Vol'jin
  • Embuscade / Hinterhalt
  • Talents:

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

From what i've read it looks like s9 holy pally will look like s5 one.

Thats bad, s8 holy pally was really balanced imo. ten step backward.

TSG shouldn't win against an equally skilled LSD but 99% of all LSDs are super retarded so it's quite easy to zerg the druid from start to finish.

#113 Cardioth

Cardioth
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Barthilas
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:59 AM

Its very RNG-ish in this build with Daybreak (20% on FoL/HL/DL to make your next HS not use the CD).

With Holy Shock generating Holy Power, this proc basically leads to 3 holy shocks instead of 1 (2 Shocks and a WoG) which is not only a lot of healing, it's incredibly efficient.

Shock crits make Holy Light near instant cast, which basically makes it a RNG circle. Really high HPS if you're lucky (even cost effective) and really low if you're not. Then you have to fall back to FoL / DL (Lol 2.4s cast) which are each about 7k mana.

I see this as a massive issue with the new way paladins heal. I can see matches being completely decided on whether or not the paladin gets those massive bursts of healing at virtually no mana cost. Also word of glory varies massively in it's efficacy depending on what class you're up against.

It would be good to see the talent light of dawn doing something other then just adding another huge lot of healing (even though this can be at times awesome and a life saver it's simply too RNG) maybe it could increase the amount the shield absorbs from the mastery talent, just a thought.

#114 Eaten

Eaten
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Retribution 2/0/0/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1887
  • 3v3: 1246

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:25 AM

i miss sacred shield

#115 Incendaldin

Incendaldin

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:57 AM

i miss sacred shield

On the upside, I tried my hardest to bug my holy shock, and I couldn't do it. The number even seems to pop up faster. I think we finally may have gotten a fix. :D

Haven't tried Judgement yet though.

#116 Eloquentz

Eloquentz
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Retribution 0/0/2/2/0/2/.
  • 2v2: 2004
  • 3v3: 1924
  • RBG: 1699

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:21 AM

On the upside, I tried my hardest to bug my holy shock, and I couldn't do it. The number even seems to pop up faster. I think we finally may have gotten a fix. :D

Haven't tried Judgement yet though.

This almost makes losing SS in it's current form worth it!

Abt fukn time loll

#117 Mightlol

Mightlol
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Vol'jin
  • Embuscade / Hinterhalt
  • Talents:

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

b rdy to stack haste guyz

TSG shouldn't win against an equally skilled LSD but 99% of all LSDs are super retarded so it's quite easy to zerg the druid from start to finish.

#118 Yogt

Yogt
  • Junkies

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:49 AM

nope

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<