• Curse Sites
Help

Arena Inactivity: Incentive Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Poll: Options (327 member(s) have cast votes)

Options

1. Rating Decay (208 votes [63.61%])

Percentage of vote: 63.61%

2. Gold Reward (65 votes [19.88%])

Percentage of vote: 19.88%

3. Higher Gear Requirements (25 votes [7.65%])

Percentage of vote: 7.65%

4. Other (specify) (29 votes [8.87%])

Percentage of vote: 8.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Schmeiser

Schmeiser
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

Make something like, everyday in between let's say 17.00-18.00 you get 5 additional rating per win in any arena game but not taking those 5 rating from the team you won. So even if you met lower teams you would get more rating atleast and make the guys over you panic a bit

#102 misios

misios
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Destruction
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:37 AM

no thats stupid because not everyone is able to play in a certain timewindow. You might counter my argument by saying not everyone can que when other people que, and its like that already. But thats a external condition, wow as the game should not be designed about having to be online at a certain timepoint, because everything is pretty much availble 24/7 on wow, if you have teammates up for it ofc.

I still lub u <3

#103 inhume

inhume
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Combat

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:41 AM

misios said:

no thats stupid because not everyone is able to play in a certain timewindow. You might counter my argument by saying not everyone can que when other people que, and its like that already. But thats a external condition, wow as the game should not be designed about having to be online at a certain timepoint, because everything is pretty much availble 24/7 on wow, if you have teammates up for it ofc.

I still lub u <3

precedent was set that they can give away rewards during certain time frames by the fishing tourneys.  ya it blows but its their game.

#104 KennyEU

KennyEU
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Grim Batol
  • Misery
  • Talents: Marksmanship
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:43 AM

:) if they implement something to stop camping ratings (which is needed indeed), they would have to go the other way with it: don't punish people for not playing, but reward those who do play. They really just can't give people the feeling that they *have* to play or their rating will decay or whatever.

#105 Schmeiser

Schmeiser
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

misios said:

I still lub u <3

It doesn't have to be a set time, maybe it could be random afternoon hour or 2 hours. You can still que normally but if you q at that time you get 5 more rating, i was just thinking maybe more high rated teams would que at the same time for some proper matches.

#106 Retx

Retx
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Khaz'goroth
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

A really nice incentive could be adding extra sets of gear (Helm/Shoulders/Chest/Gloves/Legs), such as a haste set for mages or shadow priests, MP5 for paladins. It probably wouldn't be enough alone but it has the extra advantage of reducing the usefulness of pve gear.

Since the first idea could obviously open up a lot of balance issues, another option would be adding in 2200+ offpieces at the current heroic mode ilvl (Like 277 offpieces at the moment) that required arena points to purchase.

#107 cyrfer

cyrfer
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • RBG: 576

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

im more for a reward thing, but can´t think of anything better than gold which a lot of players don´t need.

but pls not some stupid pet or shit blizzard usually gives.

View PostGLopez, on 19 March 2011 - 03:16 AM, said:

I have never trolled in my life.

#108 Xjum

Xjum
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Skullcrusher
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

Kinda funny how you fought more able players more often at 60, before Battlegroups, than you do now in the Arena system. WotLK sure is great, that's why it's so active!

Isaac Brock said:

Well, I'll go to college and I'll learn some big words and I'll talk real loud, god damn right I'll be heard. You'll remember that guy who said all those big words that he must of learned at college.

Gumz 'n Friends WCM - Gumz 69 Twink Rogue

#109 wisdomcube

wisdomcube
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

Arena is played because its competitive AND fun. After almost 2 years of this expansion arena doesn't excite anyone because how frustrating it could be to lose to some shit wiz cleave or phd. S4 was pretty dead also from what I remember so this really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

#110 vard

vard
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Sunstrider
  • Blackout

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

Rating decay is not the way to go. Some people have intensive jobs which mean weeks of inactivity.

There are better ways / incentives

#111 Megatf

Megatf
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

Arterian said:

playing live isnt fun except for 2 weeks at the start of the season and 2 weeks before the end

nobody wants to be forced to play

Why?  Because nobody worthwhile is qing.  Add in rating decay and that would change.  

Nobody wants to farm 2100 rated teams to a spot in the top 20.
Posted Image

#112 Megatf

Megatf
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

vard said:

Rating decay is not the way to go. Some people have intensive jobs which mean weeks of inactivity.

There are better ways / incentives

I'm sorry, but if you have an intensive job that requires weeks of inactivity how did they end up getting 2700 in the first month of WOTLK.  By that logic they would not have gotten high enough to even post here.

10 Games is not hard to come by, and nobody is suggesting rating decay begin immediately the first week you don't queue a game.  But I do believe two weeks with 0 games played is hard to justify when it takes 45 minutes to do so.

Give us a better way or incentive.  Gold?  I  doubt someone camping a 100 point lead over second place is going to care about the easiest in-game item to get in the game.  Not to mention it would inflate the economy and devalue gold further.  

I'd say a 25 rating decay after 2 weeks of inactivity and 10 every week after.  If you can't squeeze out 10 games over a period of two weeks regardless of a "High intensive job" then there is another motive.  Under this high intensive job you would have to randomly work 16 hours a day for two weeks or deploy to Afghanistan for me to even consider those people.  

People also generally don't take two week vacations every month.
Posted Image

#113 Hyrmine

Hyrmine
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Arms 2/1/1/1/1/0

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

The point is that this is arguable because:
- This game is not balanced and you know it, there are comps who are good in start and then later they get steamrolled by others even if those others are really total faceroll comps.
- On the other side this can work the other way and faceroll comps can dominate in start but not later.
- Overall Decay would make arena THAT much more active because people play it every week not camp it or go afk.
- A good example I remember is that druid who played beastcleave on outland in s7 as resto in the start with his furious gear till something like 2650 and basically never ever logged in again and still got glad. Things like this just shouldn't work.

PS, Rating decay is the best

#114 Lieto

Lieto
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arthas
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Subtlety
  • LocationKyiv. Ukraine.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

Amig0 said:

What do you feel would be the best way to combat players leveling arena teams within the first few weeks and camping until the rest of the season?

There are only 2 to 3 teams in the top 20 on my battlegroup that still actively queue, and the rest are camping.

Quite frankly i dont see any problem there. Its exactly the same for everyone.
Your team has 251-100 with 72% win ratio and is rank10.
Rank1 on your bg is 320-47 with nearly 90% win ratio.

Play as good and as much as they do and you will get there?
Cant see how it would be fair to force someone to queue just because "i need ratingz lulz".

- A good example I remember is that druid who played beastcleave on outland in s7 as resto in the start with his furious gear till something like 2650 and basically never ever logged in again and still got glad. Things like this just shouldn't work.

It takes around around 300 games to get to top10 (give or take, also varys with mmr) at any give point of the season. How is it fair to force someone who already played their 300 games to play MORE?
Shadowmelding since 2007.

#115 Megatf

Megatf
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

Lieto said:

Quite frankly i dont see any problem there. Its exactly the same for everyone.
Your team has 251-100 with 72% win ratio and is rank10.
Rank1 on your bg is 320-47 with nearly 90% win ratio.

Play as good and as much as they do and you will get there?
Cant see how it would be fair to force someone to queue just because "i need ratingz lulz".

Your point can be argued as well.  

The team with the 72% w/l ratio is going to maintain roughly around rank 10.  The team with the 90% w/l ratio is going to maintain first place.
Posted Image

#116 Lieto

Lieto
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arthas
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Subtlety
  • LocationKyiv. Ukraine.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

Also we all know what can happen if rank1 will queue — lulz 3 critz in a row hellou 40 ratings.
Its hard to get a firm lead and no one should be forced into risking of loosing it.

We could speak about some sort of solution if it would be somehow magically easier to get to 3000 in the start of the season then it is in the end. But apparently there is no such pattern. Actually Id dare to say that more teams are getting their rank1s closer to the end of the season with exactly the same amount of games played so its definitely not harder in some way.
Shadowmelding since 2007.

#117 vard

vard
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Sunstrider
  • Blackout

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

Megatf said:

I'm sorry, but if you have an intensive job that requires weeks of inactivity how did they end up getting 2700 in the first month of WOTLK.  By that logic they would not have gotten high enough to even post here.

10 Games is not hard to come by, and nobody is suggesting rating decay begin immediately the first week you don't queue a game.  But I do believe two weeks with 0 games played is hard to justify when it takes 45 minutes to do so.

Give us a better way or incentive.  Gold?  I  doubt someone camping a 100 point lead over second place is going to care about the easiest in-game item to get in the game.  Not to mention it would inflate the economy and devalue gold further.  

I'd say a 25 rating decay after 2 weeks of inactivity and 10 every week after.  If you can't squeeze out 10 games over a period of two weeks regardless of a "High intensive job" then there is another motive.  Under this high intensive job you would have to randomly work 16 hours a day for two weeks or deploy to Afghanistan for me to even consider those people.  

People also generally don't take two week vacations every month.

I don't see what's hard to believe about it?

I need to travel for my job. I work in the media business - and I do not have access to a computer when I am 'deployed' so to speak.

I regularly do in fact work 16 hour days - so, I'm glad you appreciate that a decay system wouldn't work for people in such a situation.

I do though have free time though in between my jobs - and periods where I may have One or Two weeks off before I have to either travel or work such long hours for about the duration of about one month.

There's no use even arguing about it.

Blizzard themselves are aware that you get more from adhering to the needs of the general working population. (or casuals, isn't it?) Than you do catering towards the sort of people who can afford to play day in / day out.

#118 Neloangelo

Neloangelo
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

A couple of people have mentioned it already, Dirtydawg, Wisdomcube, Bulrug and a 4th poster. Arena is just fucking horrible at the moment and that is the main reason people aren't queuing. TR is up also which is also a contributing factor, (which is easily the worst TR i've ever played on hence why I cba to play that shit either)

If this rating decay idea is implemented it would force so many people to just quit the game out of pure frustration of being forced to play something they don't want to. I don't see the fun in playing on live or TR at the moment at all, and i'm not alone in feeling this. Most of the people I know ingame who have quit or are camping or w/e aren't doing it to spite other players, it's mainly because the game is shit.

Some dude said why don't you just quit or whatever if you don't find arena fun. But what does that change or solve exactly? Do you think because somebody quits the ladder will suddenly spring into life or the teams the characters had get deleted? No they don't so just to suggest that because you don't want somebody telling you the truth and maybe making you feel bad personally that you're investing so much time into a shit game is so petty and infantile, it's actually funny to read.

Blizzard have basically caved in so much to the shitbag whiners who made the most retarded suggestions that ended up being implemented to live without extensive testing and have had arena ruined. Arena is more balanced now than ever ACCORDING TO CLASS REPRESENTATION, but for all the wrong fucking reasons. The only reason every class is viable now is that they all have some lolgib spec that can 2 shot a player on the other team. Anyway it's all coming back to bite them in the ass now with people quitting and a disastrous and stagnant season.

Blizzard offered hope by nerfing priest rogue 2 weeks into season 6 and the people on AJ rejoiced thinking this was going to be a taste of things to come. An approach that people had been asking for for 6 fucking seasons, to hotfix balance issues like they do with PvE fairly and promptly. But I haven't seen any changes nerfs or hotfixes like this since the start of S6. I just don't know why?? It's not fukcing hard to do.

TLDR, make arena fun again by fucking actually balancing and fixing all the classes and fuck PvE. If they can't fuck PvE they should make a permanent TR with no PvE trinkets and make class adjustments there that will balance the classes so they don't have to worry about PvE implications and maybe leave live as it is.

Pau said:

Anyway I had to go so i was like ok i gotta head to class and shes like peace and hugs me and my boner pushes against her leg and she looks at me wide eyed and walks away really fast.

ಠ︵ಠ凸

#119 Arterian

Arterian
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

Megatf said:

Why?  Because nobody worthwhile is qing.  Add in rating decay and that would change.  

Nobody wants to farm 2100 rated teams to a spot in the top 20.

look at my ratings right now

700 lower in 3s than I was at the start of the season because I'm playing with friends/alts. I get shit for pts but who cares when I already have both main sets of gear? I think I've missed getting arena points all together at least 4 weeks this season.

rating decay won't get people to que. You get all your gear in the first month or 2 of the season and you have no reason to que. If you're trying to sit on rating, sure, but if you're good enough it is very possible to grind out 200 games to 3k in a weekend during the last few weeks of the season.

View PostZilea, on 08 October 2011 - 02:36 PM, said:

Believe it or not I'm a nice guy with a mild mannered personality. So no, i wouldn't "choke someone", even though my 6pack abs allow me to do that

#120 Methyline

Methyline
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Archimonde
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents:

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

vard said:

I don't see what's hard to believe about it?

I need to travel for my job. I work in the media business - and I do not have access to a computer when I am 'deployed' so to speak.

I regularly do in fact work 16 hour days - so, I'm glad you appreciate that a decay system wouldn't work for people in such a situation.

I do though have free time though in between my jobs - and periods where I may have One or Two weeks off before I have to either travel or work such long hours for about the duration of about one month.

There's no use even arguing about it.

Blizzard themselves are aware that you get more from adhering to the needs of the general working population. (or casuals, isn't it?) Than you do catering towards the sort of people who can afford to play day in / day out.

No offense I really respect that you work hard and all, but the vast vast vast majority of the people playing WoW are not in your situation.

Arterian said:

rating decay won't get people to que. You get all your gear in the first month or 2 of the season and you have no reason to que. If you're trying to sit on rating, sure, but if you're good enough it is very possible to grind out 200 games to 3k in a weekend during the last few weeks of the season.

Yeah it may not get the people who can get to 3k in a weekend to Q....but it will get all the others who can't, you seem to assume that this discussion is only about the rank 1 team for some reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<