Photo

Is high arena rating an indication of skills?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 Zeíken1296684868

Zeíken1296684868
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Tarren Mill
  • Misery
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

10/10

Posted Image

#82 brownieownz

brownieownz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Akama
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

I like poodles
"Shamans need a fucking rocketship that they can hop into in combat and fly into space to up their survivability"

#83 Fuzzlol

Fuzzlol
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

I am going to level my rogue to 80, and I will show you guys that, even with sub-par gears, I will still be able to do very well in battlegrounds, especially WSG. and also, I will have no trouble hitting 2000 at 80 wearing level 70 gears, simply because my BG record shows that I am way above average.

Goofy is cooler
Goofy wins :o

#84 Buddha

Buddha
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Azralon
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow 0/0/1/1/0/1/1
  • 2v2: 1133
  • 3v3: 1817
  • RBG: 2062

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

the number of people getting trolled here is amazing.

#85 ZchkallePer

ZchkallePer
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents:

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

do me do me oh please how good am i!

i rly wanna know what my wsg ratio is so I can boast

#86 Werloth

Werloth
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Grim Batol
  • Misery
  • Talents: Elemental
  • RBG: 2106

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

Am i skilled?

Posted Image
Posted Image
GET FREDUCATED

#87 Nashilol

Nashilol
  • Junkies

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

Warsong Gulch battles: 282
Warsong Gulch flags captured: 189
Warsong Gulch flags returned: 297

damn, I'm a fucking monster. Should start to play again just to play bg's. Thats how skilled I am!

10/10 would read again

#88 Xpower

Xpower
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

the number of people getting trolled here is amazing.

I'm starting to doubt about this guy being a troll tbh... he seems serious.

#89 Nashilol

Nashilol
  • Junkies

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

^ what that cute UD said.

#90 Nitestrike

Nitestrike
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Ner'zhul
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 2/0/1/0/2/0
  • RBG: 2079

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:16 AM

Am i skilled?

Posted Image

No. you need to practice sitting at the GY more.

Posted Image

#91 Nitestrike

Nitestrike
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Ner'zhul
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 2/0/1/0/2/0
  • RBG: 2079

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:37 AM

i wouldn't say that means you "suck" per se, but it definitely means that your desire to win isn't nearly as strong as someone like, say, myself. and that affects your arena performance in the long run, because once you reach a certain level of arena, it's the strong-willed ones that are going to do exceptionally well instead of mediocrely well.

Desire to win has very little to do with skill.

For the most part, I could care less about BGs at this point. I go in them to get 25 arena points while I prepare diner. Unfortunately, theres really no reward for BG objectives.

EotS is the best example of how bad the current BG system is. I found that I can have top honor practically every game by staying at a tower the whole game. Actually for optimal honor Its better to not even fight and just yell for help when people are incoming. Bonus honor given when "defending" is basically telling me to have a nice diner while watching the base.

Of course when people attack, I also know that dead people get no honor. I make sure I don't die, and if i have to i bubble and run to the back side of the building to collect honor while people kill stuff. The other problem with BGs showing skill is that skill doesn't get you the honor. Most people realize strategically its better for melee to be up front and ranged to be in back. The problem here is going up front to kill the enemy can potentially put me out of range of the base for 50% bonus honor from 'defending'. So of course I run into the tower to 'defend' while ranged that don;t run all the way back there where I can fight just get killed.

Basically, BGs don't really work these days. Leeching honor gets you more honor then actually playing in almost all cases (atleast for EotS).

Back when you played BG for your own honor, I got Field Marshal on my hunter playing ONLY on weekends. The put me above a lot of 12+ hours/day players just by doing what rolls in honor points. In the current failure BG system, we get auto-sucked in to a group where we can't leave. Can't leave = sharing honor with everyone within range. Sharing honor = make sure you don;t die to get the most.

Will play BGs properly when theres rewards for playing them. Arena at least has some reward for doing them.

#92 Tacticss

Tacticss
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Azshara
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:08 AM

First of all, I apologize for the delayed reply, I have been busy leveling my rogue to 80 just so that I can earn myself a good rating and therefore add some weight to whatever I have to say. It's not fun to be treated as "the level-70-BG-twink that doesn't know anything".

Desire to win has very little to do with skill.

Nitestrike, what you said can't be more wrong. I would like to quote an article by Roy Aylmer.

To Succeed You Must Have a Burning Desire to Win
By Roy Aylmer
On Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 04:43

During last year's Beijing Olympic Games in China I don't think any Gold Medals were won by people who turned up hoping for the best. The people who won the Gold Medals were different; they had a dominating dream of their life, to be the best! They had a Dream of Winning; a Desire to be the champion. They knew exactly what they wanted in life; that's what makes people who are highly successful different from the rest.

However, the achievers in our world; the Pop Stars, the Top Sports Stars and all self made millionaires, they all got to where they are because they knew exactly what they wanted to achieve in their lives, they have a burning DESIRE.

All of the great achievers throughout history have one thing in common. They have all been dreamers or desirers. If anyone is to achieve their goals in life then the first thing they need to do is establish what their desires are. That's what makes people who are highly successful different from the rest - they know exactly what it is that they want in life.

Simply wishing for success is insufficient. If anyone is to make any steps towards their definite objectives then they need to have a determined attitude, bordering on obsession, to fulfill that desire. It does not matter what your desire is. It may be a desire to excel in business, it could be a desire to learn a new skill or it could involve a desire to change aspects of your personal life.

All who achieve great things adopt a similar philosophy when setting themselves goals. The best writers, artists, sportsmen, inventors, musicians and scientists, along with many other pioneers of modern professions, all follow the process of putting their thoughts into action successfully when backed by a burning desire. Everyone, no matter what their chosen path in life may be, will start in the same situation with nothing but their thoughts and desires to spur them on.

All achievements no matter how significant they are to others begin with a burning desire to get the result intended. In the human mind there is a power that is hard to explain. It is the ability to focus positive thoughts on achieving the thing that is wanted most. Success is sometimes a thing that at first seems impossible. The word 'impossible' has no significance to someone who possesses a burning desire.

As technology advances, the ingenious ideas that make progress possible vanish into the inner workings of our machines, where only experts may be aware of their existence. Numerical algorithms, being exceptionally uninteresting and incomprehensible to the public, vanish exceptionally fast.

#93 Quentos

Quentos
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Doomhammer
  • Blackout
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1905

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

bump :D!

#94 jojobombiest

jojobombiest
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Combat 2/2/2/2/1/1/1
  • 2v2: 2072
  • 3v3: 1838
  • 5v5: 96
  • RBG: 1704

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:35 AM

good read

#95 Gcdxd

Gcdxd
  • Junkies

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:48 PM

It's just a game ...

#96 Tacticss

Tacticss
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Azshara
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

i recently hit 80 and i am having trouble breaking 1300 in 2's. can someone please tell me why?

btw, i mutilate in pve and shadowdance in arena.

to be honest, i still manage quite well in BG's as shown below so i am a good player right? i'd really hate to realize that i am just bad >_<

Posted Image
As technology advances, the ingenious ideas that make progress possible vanish into the inner workings of our machines, where only experts may be aware of their existence. Numerical algorithms, being exceptionally uninteresting and incomprehensible to the public, vanish exceptionally fast.

#97 Hyuru

Hyuru
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/2/2/0/0/0
  • RBG: 2237
  • LocationNOT EVEN EU

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

Posting in a legendary thread.

#98 Hyuru

Hyuru
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/2/2/0/0/0
  • RBG: 2237
  • LocationNOT EVEN EU

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

No. you need to practice sitting at the GY more.

Posted Image

You kind of lost that game though....

#99 king_k28

king_k28
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Spirestone
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:57 AM

i recently hit 80 and i am having trouble breaking 1300 in 2's. can someone please tell me why?

btw, i mutilate in pve and shadowdance in arena.

to be honest, i still manage quite well in BG's as shown below so i am a good player right? i'd really hate to realize that i am just bad >_<

Posted Image

the reason you are having trouble is because you refuse to listen to reason. Your statistical analysis is at a grade 8 level since you're making comparisons with damn near zero correlations. If you want to get a accurate "reason" to why you are losing matches stream your games and get feedback
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<