Photo

Is high arena rating an indication of skills?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 Lolflay

Lolflay
  • Premium Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

My brain is literally hurting right now after thinking about this guy.

Playing BGs on twink levels and retrieving flags versus people in that bracket is the SAME, as for example, being a 40 year old man and taking a lollypop from 5 year old kid and then declaring victory of you being superior.

Also claiming something that only HE DOES is skill when most of people who actually do BGs are either trying to win for honor or just going in to oneshot people or just plain out kill them is a bit farfetched. You realize 99% of normal WoW player population only enters BGs to farm honor and during the process they either AFK or just mindlessly kill people ?

Do you want a reason why ? Because it is not satisfying, because it isn't fun to chase one objective in a MMORPG. If this was Unreal Tournament, I would get your point. Arenas are basically UT/CS/Halo or w/e, just without extra objectives. BGs on another hand are a relic of the past, and measuring skill in something that a 5 year old kid can perform after 2-3 days of practice ( "ok son, I will give you a important task - whoever has the flag, kill him and take the flag away from him" ).

People moved away from measuring skill in that, because it's easy. The only standard to measure "skill" in WoW with is basically arena, which even blizzard themselves ( besides the community obviously ) agreed on. When you have entire PvP population claiming against your false points, it's pretty much end of discussion.

p.s. rogue versus rogue duels are also one of things that are widely accepted as "who is better will win" - if you constantly lose vs other rogues in duels, you're obviously not good.

[13:49:14] Creed: u have 20min to find a healer, going for a jog
[13:49:53] Creed: nothing like running through the bush being chased by wild animals to get a proper workout
[13:50:01] Creed: you europeans and ur silly gyms

#42 ceiyoan

ceiyoan
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Nazgrel
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Discipline 1/2/0/0/2/0
  • Locationottawa, canada

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

i wish blizzard would always award the winning team two times the honor and the losing team zero/very minimal honor...

but i guess my point is, i suck at FPS, i don't have a gaming mouse/gaming computer, i play with 180~280 ping, my reaction time/reflex is average, although i find myself more effective in PuG BG's (esp WSG) than 99% of the people i have ran into because i can sorta predict what people(both my teammates and opponents) would think/do, and therefore manipulate them and win games where it's almost impossible to win because of imbalance, and it feels really really good, out-smarting 9~10 enemies and solo-cap a flag while all my team-mates are turtling in flag room feels really really good.

are you boasting the fact that rogue can double sprint across the entire map and ninja cap a flag?

its not hard to get in, grab the flag, grabs the boots on the way out, sprint when it ends, oops met a shammy, blind his ass, keep running, oh theres a warrior, gouge him, keep moving, nearing my tunnel, prep => sprint, oh a mage, clos, oh 2nd set of speed boots, oh cool im here. cap.

oh don't forget your team is prolly randomly running around killing things, and all together helping in some random sense to get that flag capped.

edit @ flag capping ratio:

who gives a flying fuck about the flag cap ratio, thats no idication of "skill" whatsoever. Me for example, when i do WSG, i rarely ever go after flag caps, i do if i can, but im generally just killing shit all game. by your logic that makes me bad at wsg because my flag cap ratio is low.

Hey man, Metapod called. He said "harden the fuck up".

its like some1 comes and says they are gonna stab you next time you meet, and instead of bringing a knife to defend urself you bring just your fists and then cry about it when ur dying lol.

we fight/beat glads, relentless glads, brutal glads, wrathful glads every game. Just because youre good at arenas doesnt mean u know how to bg. -Yajirobí (highest rated RBG player at 66% win/loss)

#43 ktimekiller

ktimekiller
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:10 AM

lul

#44 Raidspec

Raidspec
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Holy 0/1/2/2/2/0
  • LocationYour house

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:30 AM

The OP is stupid. Mods lock this please.

#45 zephah

zephah
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

This thread is amazing.

"If you armory top rogues they don't get any caps in WSG so they aren't good."

has to be a troll, very well thought out

#46 Quentos

Quentos
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Doomhammer
  • Blackout
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1905

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

:>

#47 Reethica

Reethica
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Turalyon
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

this made me lol

#48 Koronisz

Koronisz
  • Koronisz
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:53 PM

rofl

#49 Shaydee

Shaydee
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:58 PM

haha... maybe you are out performing other people in bg's, because while you are in bg's, the more skilled players are in arenas. :)

It's retarded to judge yourself and how good you are based on just bg's. What's nice about the arena is that it is more dynamic faster. With the goal being to survive and to kill. There are no distractors... it's just how well you understand your class and the classes you are playing with and against. .

#50 Tacticss

Tacticss
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Azshara
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:32 AM

i've about 200k h-kills myself and i can tell you that bg has nothing to do with skill.

you win 330 out of 439 which is 75% of your WSG's, even though your flag cap/return ratio isn't high, it's probably because you are healing the flag carrier 90% of the time. but still, 75% winning ratio is very good at level 80, i consider you a good player.

Arena is the PINNACLE of skill in this game, shitters get by sometimes and attain high ratings/titles, sometimes even r1 titles, but for the most part, arena is indication of how good you are at this game.

you win 76% of your wsg games(100 out of 131), your flag return/cap ratio is also not very high, which coincides with goldmaus(above), as we all know that, good priests help to win wsg's in a different way than good rogues do, as the two classes are completely different.

are you boasting the fact that rogue can double sprint across the entire map and ninja cap a flag?

you win 202/308 which is 67% of your wsg games, 10%, significantly, lower than the above 2 priests, and this can be easily explained by the fact that you are not a BG healer, and also that you do not seem to fully grasp the concept of WSG. long story short, there is MUCH MUCH more to double sprint than running a flag.

either this guy is trollin' or he's just very stupid.

i call troll.

i am not trolling. i just looked at your armory, boy, 251 flag returns and 156(!!!) flag caps in 265 wsg games. you, sir, i consider a very good player. indeed, when i looked at your arena rating, i wasn't surprised, 2847 in 2vs2, 2787 in 3vs3.

i think all of these data made my point clearer and clearer, in general, your skill-level and arena performance is positively correlated to your desire to win AND your WSG performance.
As technology advances, the ingenious ideas that make progress possible vanish into the inner workings of our machines, where only experts may be aware of their existence. Numerical algorithms, being exceptionally uninteresting and incomprehensible to the public, vanish exceptionally fast.

#51 ktimekiller

ktimekiller
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:57 AM

the fuck...

#52 Rhan

Rhan
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arathor
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Restoration 1/2/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1563
  • 3v3: 2187
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationHolland

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

I think he is just TROLLING

He must be

Right:P?

#53 Raidspec

Raidspec
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Holy 0/1/2/2/2/0
  • LocationYour house

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

BAN THIS GUY

#54 olala

olala
  • Members

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:41 AM

lmao never knew ask a gladiator forums were this good

#55 Tankz

Tankz
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arms
  • Locationin ur bed

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:50 AM

you win 330 out of 439 which is 75% of your WSG's, even though your flag cap/return ratio isn't high, it's probably because you are healing the flag carrier 90% of the time. but still, 75% winning ratio is very good at level 80, i consider you a good player.

you win 76% of your wsg games(100 out of 131), your flag return/cap ratio is also not very high, which coincides with goldmaus(above), as we all know that, good priests help to win wsg's in a different way than good rogues do, as the two classes are completely different.

you win 202/308 which is 67% of your wsg games, 10%, significantly, lower than the above 2 priests, and this can be easily explained by the fact that you are not a BG healer, and also that you do not seem to fully grasp the concept of WSG. long story short, there is MUCH MUCH more to double sprint than running a flag.

i am not trolling. i just looked at your armory, boy, 251 flag returns and 156(!!!) flag caps in 265 wsg games. you, sir, i consider a very good player. indeed, when i looked at your arena rating, i wasn't surprised, 2847 in 2vs2, 2787 in 3vs3.

i think all of these data made my point clearer and clearer, in general, your skill-level and arena performance is positively correlated to your desire to win AND your WSG performance.

i change my opinion and believe he is indeed stupid.
wat is dis game

#56 olala

olala
  • Members

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:42 AM

Out of 142 Warsong games I played I only have 17 flag captures does this mean I suck?

#57 bens

bens
  • Benys
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction
  • RBG: 2565

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

guess i am just trying to say, arena is like freshman calculus, even if you are bad at math, you can still do well by just memorizing formulas, but BG's are like a graduate course in mathematical logic, if you aren't a math person, you are gonna fail the course no matter what.

#58 bens

bens
  • Benys
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction
  • RBG: 2565

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:41 AM

just to reinforce my point, i will list some good rogues and let's look at their flag return/per WSG ratio:

ming, 197/143=1.4 flag return per game

Outplayedz, 421/413=1.0 flag return per game

niveaformen, 76/79 = 1.0 flag return per game

zods, 283/290 = 1.0 flag return per game

in fact, if you armory rogues with high arena ratings, you will find that most of them have a flag return per game ratio higher than 0.5, some higher than 1, some even close to 2. and the ones higher than 0.9 are the ones i consider really good.

hahhaahhha

#59 Tacticss

Tacticss
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Azshara
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

Out of 142 Warsong games I played I only have 17 flag captures does this mean I suck?

i wouldn't say that means you "suck" per se, but it definitely means that your desire to win isn't nearly as strong as someone like, say, myself. and that affects your arena performance in the long run, because once you reach a certain level of arena, it's the strong-willed ones that are going to do exceptionally well instead of mediocrely well.

and another point i'd like to bring up about BG vs Arena:

you can get carried by your gears in arena. BIG TIME.

however in WSG, a fresh 80 rogue in ilevel 200~232 gears can easily out-perform a full wrathful rogue (given that the two are at approximately the same "skill" level) if the former simply understands WSG better, but that's nearly impossible in an arena.

as you can see i win 90% of the games when i play with my shaman partner, (without counting games where i carry other 70's that transferred to play with us), i am probably the best level 70 rogue in my BG.

yet i ran into this 72 rogue yesterday, he is in completely garbage gear, yet he out-performed me in WSG. i'd win 99 out of 100 games against him in arena simply because i out gear him so much, but you see, that just doesn't mean i am more skilled than he is.
As technology advances, the ingenious ideas that make progress possible vanish into the inner workings of our machines, where only experts may be aware of their existence. Numerical algorithms, being exceptionally uninteresting and incomprehensible to the public, vanish exceptionally fast.

#60 Xpower

Xpower
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

holy fuck LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<