Photo

Is high arena rating an indication of skills?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 cyrfer

cyrfer
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Arms
  • RBG: 576

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:06 PM

im a boss in bgs.
i am terrible in duels (because i don´t use cds i guess)

so i am skilled in bgs but not skilled in duels?

does that mean i am skilled overall? first off you would need to define skill.

I have never trolled in my life.

#22 Tacticss

Tacticss
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Azshara
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:40 PM

first off you would need to define skill.

imo, skill = the ability to manipulate others. the ability to predict other's response.

for the record, i have won 259 out of 313 which is 83% of my rated arena games(level 70 rated arena but still) so i am not a scrub that some of these people that are trying to make me look like.

i can get a gaming mouse/gaming desktop to replace my 2-button mouse/dell laptop, get a better ISP(thus lower latency), and become a much better player in arena.

but all of those won't help that much in BG's if you don't know how to carry a PuG to victory against a semi pre-made, which i have done a lot. i have been a 70 twink for a while, i have made many people frustrated and /afk out of battlegrounds and some of them went on to become 2600 rated players at 80.

i guess i am just trying to say, arena is like freshman calculus, even if you are bad at math, you can still do well by just memorizing formulas, but BG's are like a graduate course in mathematical logic, if you aren't a math person, you are gonna fail the course no matter what.
As technology advances, the ingenious ideas that make progress possible vanish into the inner workings of our machines, where only experts may be aware of their existence. Numerical algorithms, being exceptionally uninteresting and incomprehensible to the public, vanish exceptionally fast.

#23 Ezekial

Ezekial
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Archimonde
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

or its because ur a twink in a level 61-70 bg and playing in an arena ladder that no one plays or gives a fuck about, such a bad troll

#24 Rueben SR_US

Rueben SR_US
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Combat
  • RBG: 1991

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

arenas take more skill

win/loss can be skewed information

getting a glad title is more of an indication of skill than not getting one but explaining why you're good anyway

hope this helps

#25 Bashel

Bashel
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Shadow
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

I got hot streak on my mage without having a SINGLE epic item. Does that make me pro as hell?

No, it was on 1000 mmr because of our crappy gear and we just met people that should never have entered arena in the first place (both of us could basicly solo all the other teams).

The good arena players don't really care about level 70 arena either, they do arena on level 80 because there's better rewards. The people who twink bgs or level 70 arena is generally because they can't compete properly on level 80.

I'm not saying you are, I'm saying generally.

Winning a bg in a random team against other random teams is like me linking this picture:

Posted Image

It doesn't say anything.
Posted Image
Chillin' for the season.

Official Blizzard Quote:

*The' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2325684862']*The mouse can now no longer be used to turn player characters. In many cases, this gave certain players a slight advantage over those that used their keys to turn.

#26 Tacticss

Tacticss
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Azshara
  • Shadowburn

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

another thing, arenas last what? 3~10 minutes? now is it easier to show all of your skills in a 3~10 min arena game, or a 20 minute BG?

before they nerfed wsg timer, i used to play games like this, now that is the kind of PVP that had kept my interests in WoW:

http://www.imagedump...file=494067.jpg

now let me ask you this question, why does FIDE only recognize chess games where classical control(at least an hour per player) is used?

indeed, in professional chess, blitz (fast speed chess, for example, 5 minute per player with 3 second increment per move) are usually just for fun.

heck, even basketball games (sorta like 5vs5 arena) last 48 minutes per game...

(quoted from FIDE official site: 1.1 For a game to be rated each player must have the following minimum periods in which to complete all the moves, assuming the game lasts 60 moves.
Where at least one of the players in the tournament has a rating 2200 or higher, each player must have a minimum of 120 minutes.
Where at least one of the players in the tournament has a rating 1600 or higher, each player must have a minimum of 90 minutes.
Where all the players in the tournament are rated below 1600, each player must have a minimum of 60 minutes.)

As technology advances, the ingenious ideas that make progress possible vanish into the inner workings of our machines, where only experts may be aware of their existence. Numerical algorithms, being exceptionally uninteresting and incomprehensible to the public, vanish exceptionally fast.

#27 lassira

lassira
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Scilla
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

supergeared twink does really well in BGs vs shit geared people, more at 11

#28 Tacticss

Tacticss
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Azshara
  • Shadowburn

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

supergeared twink does really well in BGs vs shit geared people, more at 11

1, your view point is very original.

2, the news anchor reference is very creative.

#29 Emopandah

Emopandah
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/2/2/0/0/2
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

Posted Image

It doesn't say anything.

http://img638.images...2/dsc00371o.jpg

#30 Bashel

Bashel
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

1, your view point is very original.

2, the news anchor reference is very creative.

3, you are such a noob :P
Posted Image
Chillin' for the season.

Official Blizzard Quote:

*The' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2325684862']*The mouse can now no longer be used to turn player characters. In many cases, this gave certain players a slight advantage over those that used their keys to turn.

#31 nubmadri

nubmadri
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

"like the wow forums but without all the garbage"

edit: check my sig for true bg domination

#32 Bashel

Bashel
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

"like the wow forums but without all the garbage"

edit: check my sig for true bg domination

LOL :D
Posted Image
Chillin' for the season.

Official Blizzard Quote:

#33 Tacticss

Tacticss
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Azshara
  • Shadowburn

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:48 PM

just to reinforce my point, i will list some good rogues and let's look at their flag return/per WSG ratio:

ming, 197/143=1.4 flag return per game

Outplayedz, 421/413=1.0 flag return per game

niveaformen, 76/79 = 1.0 flag return per game

zods, 283/290 = 1.0 flag return per game

in fact, if you armory rogues with high arena ratings, you will find that most of them have a flag return per game ratio higher than 0.5, some higher than 1, some even close to 2. and the ones higher than 0.9 are the ones i consider really good.

i myself am sitting at 2 flag return per game right now, it was higher, close to 3 before, but lately with the introduction of timed wsg, i have been forced to start capping flags so my flag return ratio dropped quite a bit.

#34 Neloangelo

Neloangelo
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:05 AM

most dmg done at end of bgs is a better indicator of skill surely.

Anyway I had to go so i was like ok i gotta head to class and shes like peace and hugs me and my boner pushes against her leg and she looks at me wide eyed and walks away really fast.

ಠ︵ಠ凸

#35 goldmâus

goldmâus
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Echsenkessel
  • Sturmangriff / Charge

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:07 AM

because they dont care? (@flag return)

i've about 200k h-kills myself and i can tell you that bg has nothing to do with skill. take berserk twoshot bad geared ppl for example (gz <.<).

#36 Tankz

Tankz
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Locationin ur bed

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:35 AM

either this guy is trollin' or he's just very stupid.

i call troll.
wat is dis game

#37 Taiyoken

Taiyoken
  • Members

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

definitely a troll

Okay, you killed the death knight, good job. NIGHTMARE MODE UNLOCKED, KILL HIM AGAIN, YOU HAVE 20% LIFE THIS TIME AND NO COOLDOWNS.

#38 Lolflay

Lolflay
  • Premium Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

i will elaborate my point.

i spend 90% of the time in WoW PuGGing BG's,

i have 100k lifetime kills, i have been a 19 twink/29 twink/39 twink/49 twink/59 twink/60 twink/69 twink/70 twink, i have never met a single rogue that would out-perform me in BG's, especially WSG. although i have met a dozen that have faster reflex, beat me in duels, out-perform me in arenas (cough, there IS rated arena at 70...cough), but no more than 3 rogues have impressed me in battle grounds (especially WSG).

i had to adjust my play style a lot for the 25 timer in WSG, although i can't drag out WSG and win by persistence like i did before, i now use the timer to my advantage and often cap in the last 5 minutes to win the game.

i consider winning loopsided games like this, much more satisfying than beating, say, a mirror game against your BG's number 1 arena team.

Spoiler

Are you actually calling yourself good ? I mean you're acting as if twink WSG's actually take skill, when so far everytime I was leveling a alt I've been getting to twink WSG's and humiliating every single twink. And DONT tell me rated BGs will be skill, ROFL.

Arena is the PINNACLE of skill in this game, shitters get by sometimes and attain high ratings/titles, sometimes even r1 titles, but for the most part, arena is indication of how good you are at this game.

Scoreboard in battleground, lifetime HKs, honor gained - none of it matters. Are you one of vanilla players who "wants old days back when "skill mattered" and people were good" ? Let me tell you something pal, I'm one of oldschool highranked people ( r12 to be precise, cba'd going further ) - none of it matters. Only skillful thing in this game is teamplay with your partners, and that's what arena is all about.

[13:49:14] Creed: u have 20min to find a healer, going for a jog
[13:49:53] Creed: nothing like running through the bush being chased by wild animals to get a proper workout
[13:50:01] Creed: you europeans and ur silly gyms

#39 Lolflay

Lolflay
  • Premium Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

just to reinforce my point, i will list some good rogues and let's look at their flag return/per WSG ratio:

ming, 197/143=1.4 flag return per game

Outplayedz, 421/413=1.0 flag return per game

niveaformen, 76/79 = 1.0 flag return per game

zods, 283/290 = 1.0 flag return per game

in fact, if you armory rogues with high arena ratings, you will find that most of them have a flag return per game ratio higher than 0.5, some higher than 1, some even close to 2. and the ones higher than 0.9 are the ones i consider really good.

i myself am sitting at 2 flag return per game right now, it was higher, close to 3 before, but lately with the introduction of timed wsg, i have been forced to start capping flags so my flag return ratio dropped quite a bit.

holy shit lol, you have to be a troll, or you're a complete ************* *****

[13:49:14] Creed: u have 20min to find a healer, going for a jog
[13:49:53] Creed: nothing like running through the bush being chased by wild animals to get a proper workout
[13:50:01] Creed: you europeans and ur silly gyms

#40 Tomou

Tomou
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

he's serious. look at the effort he's putting into this shit, and the pseudointellectual signature that he has. kid thinks he's a wow-genius or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<