Photo

Is high arena rating an indication of skills?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Tacticss

Tacticss
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Azshara
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:09 AM

Is high arena rating an indication of skills?

I don't agree, at least not fully.

If you have a high arena rating/win 75% of your arena games, it is an indication of fast reflex and reaction, and also good team work, good team combination.

I really look forward to the rated BG system, I think that's a better representation of skills. is it easier to predict what 2~5 people will do or what 10~15 people will do? you can play tons of 2vs2 games and figure out a strategy for every single comp, but you can't do that for WSG's, AB's EoTS's. imo, skill isn't about what formulas (strategies against different comps) you can memorize, it's about how well you perform in completely random settings.

I wonder if there are people out there that really hate losing in BG's, like people with 2 flag returns + 1 flag cap per WSG, or with, say, 80% winning ratio in AB, 85% in WSG etc in a balanced BG. even though most people play BG's just to grind honor, I would still find a player with those stats much more impressive than, say, someone with a 2600 rating in 3vs3.

just my two cents...
As technology advances, the ingenious ideas that make progress possible vanish into the inner workings of our machines, where only experts may be aware of their existence. Numerical algorithms, being exceptionally uninteresting and incomprehensible to the public, vanish exceptionally fast.

#2 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:19 AM

Larger group tactics vs. smaller group tactics are different skillsets. I do not understand the point you're trying to make beyond that.

(Assuming rated BGs have static, premade teams like Arenas do, otherwise any judgments of skill you try to make out of it are just gonna be dumb)
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#3 yoyobrokt

yoyobrokt
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:28 AM

wtf?

#4 Kurum

Kurum
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/1/2/2/0/0/2
  • 2v2: 2430
  • 3v3: 2602
  • RBG: 1693

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:35 AM

ya bgs take way more skill than arenas i agree

holy shit this is just like wow forums

#5 Broski

Broski
  • Junkies

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:39 AM

You want skill then go play fps / rts

#6 Tacticss

Tacticss
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Azshara
  • Shadowburn

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:38 AM

i will elaborate my point.

i spend 90% of the time in WoW PuGGing BG's,

i have 100k lifetime kills, i have been a 19 twink/29 twink/39 twink/49 twink/59 twink/60 twink/69 twink/70 twink, i have never met a single rogue that would out-perform me in BG's, especially WSG. although i have met a dozen that have faster reflex, beat me in duels, out-perform me in arenas (cough, there IS rated arena at 70...cough), but no more than 3 rogues have impressed me in battle grounds (especially WSG).

i had to adjust my play style a lot for the 25 timer in WSG, although i can't drag out WSG and win by persistence like i did before, i now use the timer to my advantage and often cap in the last 5 minutes to win the game.

i consider winning loopsided games like this, much more satisfying than beating, say, a mirror game against your BG's number 1 arena team.

http://www.imagedump...file=559358.jpg
As technology advances, the ingenious ideas that make progress possible vanish into the inner workings of our machines, where only experts may be aware of their existence. Numerical algorithms, being exceptionally uninteresting and incomprehensible to the public, vanish exceptionally fast.

#7 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:45 AM

i consider winning loopsided games like this, much more satisfying than beating, say, a mirror game against your BG's number 1 arena team.

Only if everyone was actually trying to win. If you notice You got less honor than the people higher than you on the kill boards - if that was their goal then you're using incredibly flawed data.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#8 Outsourced

Outsourced
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-The Underbog
  • Retaliation
  • Talents:

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:46 AM

no arenas take more skill
no bgs take more skill
no fps's take more skill

wtf is this.

#9 Gnommy

Gnommy
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Boulderfist
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:58 AM

Who let you in here...
:mage::mage::mage:

#10 Tacticss

Tacticss
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Azshara
  • Shadowburn

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:00 AM

Only if everyone was actually trying to win. If you notice You got less honor than the people higher than you on the kill boards - if that was their goal then you're using incredibly flawed data.

i wish blizzard would always award the winning team two times the honor and the losing team zero/very minimal honor...

but i guess my point is, i suck at FPS, i don't have a gaming mouse/gaming computer, i play with 180~280 ping, my reaction time/reflex is average, although i find myself more effective in PuG BG's (esp WSG) than 99% of the people i have ran into because i can sorta predict what people(both my teammates and opponents) would think/do, and therefore manipulate them and win games where it's almost impossible to win because of imbalance, and it feels really really good, out-smarting 9~10 enemies and solo-cap a flag while all my team-mates are turtling in flag room feels really really good.

#11 Outsourced

Outsourced
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-The Underbog
  • Retaliation
  • Talents:

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:09 AM

but i guess my point is, i suck at FPS, i don't have a gaming mouse/gaming computer, i play with 180~280 ping, my reaction time/reflex is average,

although i find myself more effective in PuG BG's (esp WSG)

#12 Zeriel

Zeriel
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:10 AM

i wish blizzard would always award the winning team two times the honor and the losing team zero/very minimal honor...

but i guess my point is, i suck at FPS, i don't have a gaming mouse/gaming computer, i play with 180~280 ping, my reaction time/reflex is average, although i find myself more effective in PuG BG's (esp WSG) than 99% of the people i have ran into because i can sorta predict what people(both my teammates and opponents) would think/do, and therefore manipulate them and win games where it's almost impossible to win because of imbalance, and it feels really really good, out-smarting 9~10 enemies and solo-cap a flag while all my team-mates are turtling in flag room feels really really good.

A real preform would probably blow your mind. See, you're making the classic mistake of conflating the current state of BGs with what rated BGs will be. They're completely different.

The best rated BG teams will be made up of the same players that are topping the arena rankings. Players who have bad reflexes but good organizational skills will get destroyed by players with good reflexes and good organizational skills.

#13 Saracens

Saracens
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Enhancement 1/2/2/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1822
  • 3v3: 768
  • 5v5: 2079

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:22 AM

ROFL, this thread delivers. Gonna have to check the "ask a gladiator" forums more often.
Posted Image
Formerly Adori of Cho'gall.

#14 kannetixx

kannetixx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Fire
  • RBG: 768
  • LocationFlorida yee

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:01 AM

amazing
US-Kel'Thuzad - Kannetix

http://www.anook.com/kannetix

www.twitch.tv/kannetix - Gladiator Mage Stream follow me and see when i go live!

#15 Tomou

Tomou
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:08 AM

but i guess my point is, i suck at FPS, i don't have a gaming mouse/gaming computer, i play with 180~280 ping, my reaction time/reflex is average, although i find myself more effective in PuG BG's (esp WSG)

Posted Image

#16 boomroasted

boomroasted
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Skullcrusher
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Restoration 1/0/2/1/2/0
  • RBG: 2209

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

yeah, winning pug bgs are a true testament of skill, i agree.

#17 Baybette

Baybette
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Muradin
  • Vengeance
  • Talents:

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

ROFL, this thread delivers. Gonna have to check the "ask a gladiator" forums more often.

Completely agreed. Im kinda speechless lol.

#18 Abni

Abni
  • Junkies

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

just wait till all the "unskilled arena players" make a team for rated BGs in cata
Posted Image

#19 Kedern

Kedern
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/2/2/1/2/2
  • 2v2: 857
  • 3v3: 2144
  • 5v5: 384

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

ya bgs take way more skill than arenas i agree

holy shit this is just like wow forums

yes because as a dps u can just go grab berserker and 3 shot people way more skill

#20 Tiggar

Tiggar
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

amazing thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<