#1 Avee

Avee
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Warsong
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:28 PM

Asking for my warlock alt, but meh, I figure it's a decent enough question.

Some warlock on my guild preaches how amazing the 5% haste gem is for drain life'ing. I can understand this because even when under fire you have many instas to chain away, get a proc, and go drain 2k hp in 2 seconds. seems nice.

But I've always figured that 18stam/5stun resist was the usual way to go?

Thoughts?
Violence is not the answer. It's the question. The answer is yes.

#2 Rycho

Rycho
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:02 PM

Asking for my warlock alt, but meh, I figure it's a decent enough question.

Some warlock on my guild preaches how amazing the 5% haste gem is for drain life'ing. I can understand this because even when under fire you have many instas to chain away, get a proc, and go drain 2k hp in 2 seconds. seems nice.

But I've always figured that 18stam/5stun resist was the usual way to go?

Thoughts?

i recently switched from the 18 stam to the 5% halfcast proc one, and i have to say i like it a lot more. right now its bugged with channeled spells, so if you get a proc you can actually get off 2 drain manas in 5 seconds, good for around 2500 mana with soul siphon - its pretty insane. obviously you can do the same thing with drain life, and 1.25 sec shadowbolts and 0.75 sec cast fears, even 1.5 banishes can be useful too.

the 18 stam was the superior choice when there was less gear going around and we needed the stam, but now the 5% proc is the clear winner, in my opinion.

#3 Erosion

Erosion
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Alterac Mountains
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

Right now I use the Felweave Helm / Shoulders for my 2/3 set piece setup. I have the 5% stun resist in that helm. I'm considering picking up the Dreadweave helm and socketing 5% cast when the 4 piece changes to .2 off fear. This would give me a pretty nice swap option when going from 2s and 3s, where hasted drain life casts would be king, to 5s where I'm a target of choice and I have more healing backing me up.

The main problem is that this is my first season, so I'll be giving upgrading my blues priority. The reality is that I'll probably be better served stocking points for season 3, since I won't finish my set til late in this season.

#4 Agnos

Agnos
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

Erosion has the right idea, I put 18stam 5stun in my dreadweave helm for 5s and the Focus gem in my felweave helm for everything else in Season 1.

This season, as I've been focusing most of my attention to 3s (for perhaps obvious reasons), I plan on wearing 4dreadweave as Soul Link and 2/3 as Affliction, and will thus be putting a Focus gem in both helms, unless I can be convinced to run something other than the standard 2 (I've been considering a damage/run speed gem with surefooted, but we'll see).

To clarify what was said about the Focus gem being "bugged," haste procs currently don't go away upon casting a channelled spell, and you can (since this particular proc lasts 4 seconds) get a few ticks out of the first spell before recasting a complete new spell before the buff goes away, which gives you (obviously) a full duration focus cast. This is particularly useful for Arcane Missiles, I've seen alot of people get bursted down by ~8 missles in 4 seconds.

#5 Soen

Soen
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Gorefiend
  • Vindication

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:52 AM

The more stam you have, the more you can afford to sacrifice for resilience. If you are rolling with 12k+ health, its the time to replace some stars of elune with Mystic dawnstones. You need to have at least 400 resilience for 5s nowadays.

That +18 stam gem basically allows you to throw in 18 more resilience w/o affecting most of your stats.

As far as the spelldmg meta goes, that is crap, 12 spell dmg and minor run speed for a meta? no thanks. Total trash.

that 5% spellcast one is intesting but it still is based on chance, hence something you cant control. I would just roll with the 18 stam gem if i were you. And the stun resist is also a nice bonus.

#6 Tattertotts

Tattertotts
  • Premium Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Silvermoon
  • Reckoning
  • Talents:

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:24 PM

that 5% spellcast one is intesting but it still is based on chance, hence something you cant control. I would just roll with the 18 stam gem if i were you. And the stun resist is also a nice bonus.

My thoughts exactly, the pure +18 stam is my personal choice, plus it can sometimes mean the game if you resist an intercept charge. 5% spellcast one does sound neat though, especially if it halves the time of channeled spells. Being affliction it seems to me that the 18 stam is the more obvious choice for myself though, seeing as either myself or my shadow priest are always the first to be focused by opposing teams and we're quite squishy.

#7 Forensic

Forensic
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Destromath
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:32 PM

Whatever you choose, just remember what you choose here can affect how you socket your other items. I for one initially put in the haste gem. And I like it. But for some gear to get set bonuses (which isn't a big deal, but mystic dawnstone comes in handy) requires yellow gems. For the haste one, you need more blue than yellow gems. For the stam one, you just need at least 3 blue gems and have freedom anywhere else. Or else your meta socket doesn't count. So just take that into mind.

#8 Harmann

Harmann
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Azjol-Nerub
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:28 PM

The new Talasite recipe will help out a lot. Green gem with Stamina and Resilience.

#9 Ric

Ric
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:34 AM

Hmm I'm fairly torn between these 2 metas as well. Atm, I'm sticking with 18stam one until next patch, where i can get steady talasite and thus will be able to use 5% spellcast without losing resilience socket bonuses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<