Hawtstuffs
  • Hawtstuffs
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Laughing Skull
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:48 PM

this is probably a dumb question, but what make shadowpriests so overpowered?

#2 Prieest

Prieest
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Winterhoof
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

Their scaling with haste (i.e. when Bloodlusted). But I might be wrong.

#3 Housington

Housington
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Talnivarr
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

basicly when they have bloodlust

#4 Pekin

Pekin
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Garona
  • Embuscade / Hinterhalt
  • Talents:

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:01 PM

when they have lust they apply 3 dots in 2.5 second > then start dpsing
without lust applyying dots with fakecasting and dots beeing dispelled its harder and predictable
Posted Image

#5 Tribz

Tribz
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Demon Soul
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:05 PM

I will say strait up I'm playing with a spriest but..

I dont really think they are overpowered, they still aren't extremely common and the first couple weeks of omg spriest wut? are over, good teams have learned how to beat them. Dispel spam or abuse their lack of mobility and they are so easy to shut down. Yes if you let a lusted spriest fuck you up, you are going to die, but, that's true with most classes.

#6 Cyrus

Cyrus
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

I will say strait up I'm playing with a spriest but..

I dont really think they are overpowered, they still aren't extremely common and the first couple weeks of omg spriest wut? are over, good teams have learned how to beat them. Dispel spam or abuse their lack of mobility and they are so easy to shut down. Yes if you let a lusted spriest fuck you up, you are going to die, but, that's true with most classes.

Historically Spriests run with people that can shut you down (Rogue/Mage) and with Disperse being on such a low CD Glyphed its almost impossible to make a reliable switch on them until they use it to get mana back.
Posted Image
Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 Gunnolf

Gunnolf
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:23 PM

Historically Spriests run with people that can shut you down (Rogue/Mage) and with Disperse being on such a low CD Glyphed its almost impossible to make a reliable switch on them until they use it to get mana back.

You're telling me its hard to switch to a shadow priest more than once every minute and 15 seconds?

What game are we playing here?

FYI dispersion glyph has been like that since early season 6.
Posted Image
Spoiler

#8 Nez

Nez
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Sunstrider
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/0/2/2/.

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

It's just bloodlust with the new dot haste scaling. Without it, it's not THAT op.

#9 Seafish

Seafish
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/2/2/2/0

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

wat idiot can run around applying instant dots and immune every minute
Posted Image

#10 Widowned

Widowned
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Boulderfist
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/0/2/1
  • RBG: 384

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

What makes Shadow Priests overpowered is people's ignorant delusions that because we can finally compete, we're broken.

Other classes do as much, or more damage than us, while having an MS, while being much less squishy and easy to lock out.

#11 Naac

Naac
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Discipline 1/1/0/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1932
  • 3v3: 1630

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

Shadowpriests are overpowered because they now do similiar damage to all the other casters, except they now have 3 instants which can be chained for like 12 seconds of the healer not doing anything which the healer can really do nothing about to avoid.

fear->psychic horror->silence.

Once you land that first fear, that healer pretty much cannot avoid the next 2 meaning that if you have your dots up and land even one mindblast->shadow word:death. You can easily force defensive cds from people without any help from your teammates at all.

I think the other reason is that they are both a dot and a burst class.

IF they get their dots up (which a lot of people don't really take too much care to avoid since the danger isn't really immediate) they can then start spamming mindflay and cast MB on cd which is just massive damage. The difference though is that if u eat a mindblast->swd and then pillar, you still got 3 dots ticking on you that still do quite a bit, as opposed to an ele shaman or mage where once you gtfo, you are relatively safe.

#12 Cyrus

Cyrus
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

What makes Shadow Priests overpowered is people's ignorant delusions that because we can finally compete, we're broken.

Other classes do as much, or more damage than us, while having an MS, while being much less squishy and easy to lock out.

Look im leveling a Spriest right now, they basically require the same skill level as a retadin except they cast, just team with a mage and shaman and spam damage youre pretty much good to go.
Posted Image
Spoiler

Spoiler

#13 JaK91

JaK91
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Affliction 2/2/2/2/2/.

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:38 PM

devouring plague spam for 2.5k!

#14 n00bbox

n00bbox
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

no, spriest damage is definitely too high.

#15 Fauxy

Fauxy
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Spirestone
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Shadow 0/1/0/1/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 192
  • 5v5: 96
  • LocationPNW, USA

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:41 PM

no, spriest damage is definitely too high.

under the effects of bloodlust

as is every class

DERP DERP
steam: phozee
dotabuff: https://dotabuff.com/players/24635059

• Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Undermine
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Discipline 2/1/1/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1369
  • 3v3: 1584

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

Shadow Priest damage is retarded, but when I face a Paladin that literally just spams cleanse on a target and only uses instant casts, the only way we can win is if they don't interrupt and are retarded and eat a triple fear or something.

Our damage is pretty retarded, but we easily have the hardest and most easily countered setup of all casters. I think our damage is justifiably strong.

Believe it or not I'm a nice guy with a mild mannered personality. So no, i wouldn't "choke someone", even though my 6pack abs allow me to do that

#17 Archonosx

Archonosx
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Malfurion
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

Shadowpriest damage is too high, not saying this isn't true for other classes.

#18 Widowned

Widowned
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Boulderfist
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/0/2/1

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:58 PM

I think the other reason is that they are both a dot and a burst class.

This I'll concede, and I suspect is part of the alleged problem.

To the random DK claiming SPriests are like Retadins: your posts are embarrassing enough without talking absolute nonsense.

#19 Calx

Calx
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:59 PM

on the topic of shadow priest damage, it's easiest to compare them to UA locks. both dotting classes with a dispel protection dot, aoe fear on similar cd, silence, death coil-ish spell, even got a pet sometimes etc.

most people (myself included) would not consider a full set of aff lock dots overpowered dps, even though they are very powerful

at the same time (myself included) most people would consider a full set of shadow priest dots to rape them way harder - even though the damage is similar among dots alone. i propose this is due to three things:

1. while our rolling dot dps is similar to UA locks, only 1 of them is cast and we have 1 less dot total. this means we have to cast 25% less globals to get our dots rolling, and only 1 of them is a cast time spell

2. our filler rapes UA locks. mb+swd is balanced to blizz by the fact that they have cooldowns so it ends up being the same thing in a long pve dps rotation (rofl pve blizz doesnt know shit) but in pvp where you can't just spam mindblast whenever you want, the cd is pretty irrelevant and you end up with a ridiculous burst combo almost whenever u can cast it

3. most importantly, mind flay. i realized yesterday that mind flay is basically a reverse frostbolt. think about it:

- they both do ~4k damage in 1.5ish gcds. frostbolt's damage doesn't come until the very end of the cast, and mind flay's damage comes in 3 ticks

- frostbolt doesn't snare until the cast is resolved, mind flay snares until the cast is resolved

- you can't move when you're casting either of these spells

the synergy of flay and mind blast as dps supplements to an already healthy dot dps makes us just about the best pure damage caster in the game imo, rivalling destro lock ridiculousness except delivered in a completely different way.

---
cliff notes:

shadow priests do ridiculous damage because we're like UA locks except we traded spammable fear for unlimited dispel, reverse frostbolt, and the ability to oom

notice i didn't say we're overpowered, because within the current metagame .. there's plenty of things equally ridiculous.

#20 ayar

ayar
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Dunemaul
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Balance

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:59 PM

easy solution to fix half of the arena probs in wotlk. remove BL from arena and give rsham something to compensate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<