• Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/0/0/1
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

Calpurnia said:

You stated non-gladiators would be laughed off for their contributions, you were wrong - that's why the talents section was mentioned.

And you stated "3v3" strats, there's a couple notable ones that we are in the process of putting up. A lot of formatting has to go into play before they can be posted, and considering we just recently opened up the content editing program (in addition to some major changes to the AJ backend going on), it's a little unrealistic to expect us to get every single guide up.

As far as the "AJ mentality" of flaming non-junkies and 2400 posters, report the posts and they will be taken care of.

Thank you, that's all i wanted to hear. Kinda sad it took a whole expansion to do that though, don't ya think? Not blaming you for it.

#42 Primaris

Primaris
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

affix said:

It sort of depends on the question, though.  In S5/S6, I was getting tells from 20+ people a day I didn't know, forum posts on the mage forum, AJ PMs, etc.  When you get dozens of questions like these, do you really think responding to EVERY one is a good use of time?  Especially questions that can't really be answered helpfully.  As an example:

I get about one of those a day.  Do you really expect me to answer that kind of non-question, every day of my life?  "I don't know how to use my spells.  How do I use my spells?"

I'm fine with answering questions, as long as they're not something that can be easily googled, and as long as they show that they're actually looking for usable information... but that's not what the vast majority of questions are.  It just seems like people want to talk to high rated players, but don't have a legitimate reason to do so, so they disguise their interest with a fake question.

Yeah I had a rogue pm me the other day on my server, asked me what skills I use and where I downloaded my bindings from.. he then asked if being a keyboard turner was bad.. Some are just wtf when they dont even know the right words to use, I do help people to my extent, but when you're asking me what skills I use..

#43 Voxvicious

Voxvicious
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mannoroth
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Combat

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:40 PM

i love elitism

#44 Trafik

Trafik
  • Junkies

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

Great post, anyone who takes their rating serious enough to think they are above answering questions from other players must not have much else in life to brag about...

That being said, I can understand what affix is saying. Remember in school when they said there were no stupid questions? Well, they lied. There are, and questions as open ended and nonspecific as the one affix mentioned don't warrant a response. But, when someone takes the time to reach out to you with a well thought out question, the least you can do is try to be helpful imo.

#45 Lolflay

Lolflay
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

Arterian said:

but I can understand if someone doesn't want to be bothered when they log in to arena or just doesn't want to respond to Messages (20) on their AJ every morning.

this.

I've responded to every single PM back in the day, but right now I'm just too tired of getting 20 PMs asking the most simple stuff ( like should a shadowpriest ignore haste on his gear ? lolwat ), it has nothing to do with me being a douche or anything like that - it's just way too tiresome writing a wall of text explaining stuff you've already explained before.

Hence I'm in the process of making a RPS strat guide I'm going to post here on AJ, with complete explanations of everything. Also people who really seek my advice or any other good pvp'rs advice can simply just go on skill-capped.com and check everything out themselves.

[13:49:14] Creed: u have 20min to find a healer, going for a jog
[13:49:53] Creed: nothing like running through the bush being chased by wild animals to get a proper workout
[13:50:01] Creed: you europeans and ur silly gyms

#46 Abni

Abni
  • Junkies

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

i don't think there is 1 person i haven't responded to
Posted Image

#47 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

bIlliAn said:

I'm really tired of it, it sickens me.

High rated players who feel they're better than everybody else so they don't bother responding to low rated players asking for help on what to do. Do you realize how gratifying it is for someone to sincerely say thank you? It's a great feeling.

Even after the video I made, and bolding text, asking people that if they need any help, do not hesitate to PM me. And yet they're still scared. Or they have to add "please respond" in the PM. Or when they whisper me in game and tell me that they're really surprised I responded to them.

Just because your number is higher in an internet game, doesn't mean your a better person then they are. Please, if you get a little nubby asking for your help, just help them out and answer a few questions, it might mean the world to them.

Please don't continue this stereotype.

Agree 100%.  Though, all I talk about is interface & addon shit now :P  Always answer everything, yea.  Also as an aside, it's the main reason I hate text messages.  I'd compulsively respond to all the trivial shit, and there'd be a never-ending cycle of stupid.

I've responded to every single PM back in the day, but right now I'm just too tired of getting 20 PMs asking the most simple stuff ( like should a shadowpriest ignore haste on his gear ? lolwat ), it has nothing to do with me being a douche or anything like that - it's just way too tiresome writing a wall of text explaining stuff you've already explained before.
What you do when you get too many stupid questions is just make a video or tutorial explaining it, and then point a link.  Works like a fuggin' charm :)  (also, you can do this for $$, hehe).

Though yea, if the base of the questions you're fielding becomes too wide, then it's just not feasible to answer everything.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#48 Schmeiser

Schmeiser
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kor'gall
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

Never saw anyone good actually acting elitist the most elitist persons i saw we're like the ppl that broke 2400 in wotlk thanks to s5 dk or pala, and thought they finally achieved something and think they are better then everyone else
[16:09] maajty: wlp was the strongest setup
[16:09] maajty: after lsd

RPS 2.2k hero talking about s8

#49 Triceps

Triceps
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Разувий
  • Вихрь
  • Talents: Frost 2/2/2/2/2/2

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

bIlliAn said:

I'm really tired of it, it sickens me.

High rated players who feel they're better than everybody else so they don't bother responding to low rated players asking for help on what to do. Do you realize how gratifying it is for someone to sincerely say thank you? It's a great feeling.

Even after the video I made, and bolding text, asking people that if they need any help, do not hesitate to PM me. And yet they're still scared. Or they have to add "please respond" in the PM. Or when they whisper me in game and tell me that they're really surprised I responded to them.

Just because your number is higher in an internet game, doesn't mean your a better person then they are. Please, if you get a little nubby asking for your help, just help them out and answer a few questions, it might mean the world to them.

Please don't continue this stereotype.

its like riding a bentley and saying sup to everybody who stares at u

Pieman said:

Gladiator
Money
Girls

The life

#50 Vidra

Vidra
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost
  • RBG: 192

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

i get the same kind of messages. "Thanks for not being some elitest asshole." etc. i love helping people

#51 Rueben SR_US

Rueben SR_US
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Combat
  • RBG: 1991

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

As far as my experience has gone, the most elitist players that do stuff like blatantly ignore questions and tells were generally duelists and/or top tier PVE people.

Most glads I meet and talk to enjoy the occasional trolling session but still are nice enough to answer tells, for sure.

#52 affix

affix
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost
  • RBG: 2479

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:07 PM

inhume said:

you put out videos, you put out strategies, you've made posts and you've competed in tournaments.  in essence, you became a celebrity so people are going to ask you stupid questions because of who you are.  yes, it's going to be frustrating to answer stupid questions, get annoyed by people who want to talk to a famous person but it's the price you pay for success.  if you don't want to answer/help everybody or get annoyed with stupid questions, accept the fact you have slight elitism and move on.  it's not the end of the world.
You made a logical leap, there - from 'people know who you are' to 'you must answer their questions or you're an elitist'.  Feel free to explain why you think that's the case, but it isn't self evidently correctly.

#53 fant0m8

fant0m8
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

I respond to almost everyone, but I strongly resent people who want me to think for them.

Just this afternoon in WG, some level 77 Hunter asks me "is it hard to pvp on a hunter?", etc. out of nowhere. Do I have some sort of obligation to spend the next 20 minutes going on about how to play this game to him?

I didn't ignore him completely, I told him to spec Surv to start out with, then he asked "Is BM bad now or something?" so I told him I didn't like the spec, but you can pair up with another physical DPS and go for it if you want. I didn't volunteer any more information, because I really just wanted to play this GAME on my OWN character, not start from the ground up on level 77 Hunter legolasxxoo.

Later on in the same WG a shadow priest asked me about 5's and I told him what comp we use and what would be better. Short conversation, and I'd never seen him before, but I was much less annoyed by him because he had an actual question that I could give a concrete answer to and then move on.

Overall, if you have a question, I'll answer it. If you're just looking for me to teach you how to play from scratch, I'll pass and probably pretend to be AFK after a minute of basic information. I already play this game with a lot of RL/long time friends, it's much more fun for me to play with them than to become friends with you.

If you roll a Hunter and expect me to be excited for you just because of that... sorry. I do like it when people actually have enough interest in the class to learn how to play on their own, but when you don't even have the initiative to find out what talent tree to spec into or what buttons to press... well, look somewhere else for hand holding.
Bye again! This game isn't fun when you don't know anyone else that still plays.

#54 Zoltån

Zoltån
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

I like helping people... I agree that helping someone and achieving nothing in this game would be better than achieving a ton and being a fucking douche
Moral of the story: Help people and stop being elitist or FUCK OFF
Spoiler

Fisker said:

Drug and Pharmaceuticals expert Zoltang will uncover this mystery

raialol said:

Zoltang #1 rogue and #1 raver

#55 Zoltån

Zoltån
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

Vidra said:

i get the same kind of messages. "Thanks for not being some elitest asshole." etc. i love helping people

<3
Spoiler

Fisker said:

Drug and Pharmaceuticals expert Zoltang will uncover this mystery

raialol said:

Zoltang #1 rogue and #1 raver

#56 Touché1296682727

Touché1296682727
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Unholy

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

Skipt said:

i tried whispering u for a ginvite a few times but no response! DF

I whispered him for a ginv and he told me cause my alt didn't have 2.2k achievement he couldn't.

:(

#57 Thaz

Thaz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/0/0/1
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

Skipt said:

i tried whispering u for a ginvite a few times but no response! DF

oh hai skipt

#58 Squanky

Squanky
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Survival 1/1/1/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1580
  • 3v3: 2024
  • 5v5: 576

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

I tend to just ignore people that ask me vague questions or ones that they can find out on their own.  Something like how do I pvp as a hunter or what is your PvP spec.
Be sure to check out my youtube channel at youtube.com/squanky9

Posted Image

#59 fadingaway

fadingaway
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Arms 2/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2278

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

I respond to as many as I can, but there are the few that do catch me while I'm sitting in that small period of time before you get your AFK tag, and call me a random name and just log.

I do enjoy replying to as many PM's as i get, but when i get name called, it just puts a little dent in your day.

#60 Admix

Admix
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mug'thol
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

I usually answer pretty much every questions I get except for the questions you can look up like how to gem, spec or even play your character.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<