#1 Chingo

Chingo
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Maelstrom
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:58 PM

I've never played with a hunter in arena, and we just had a multi time glad xfer over and we're planning on playing with either a pally or a druid.  Given I plan on playing affliction, what are some general tips for the comp, and more specifically how does the affliction lock generally play?  I'm sorry if this thread is redundant. I'd appreciate any help.

#2 zajklon

zajklon
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Bronzebeard
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Destruction 1/0/1/2/2/1

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

focus all your damage on 1 target,spam cc on the healer and let the hunter peel for you. while your hunter is ccing healer you cc the non focus target.

#3 Sholock

Sholock
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:13 AM

druid is best IMO. scatter--silenceshot--cyclone--trap--fear repeat on healer.

when your CC isn't on healer, it should be on off target. GG

#4 Loincloth

Loincloth
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

zajklon said:

focus all your damage on 1 target,spam cc on the healer and let the hunter peel for you. while your hunter is ccing healer you cc the non focus target.

lol what? The emphasis on the comp and the biggest strength is the ability to do heavy damage to 2 targets in a short amount of time. You should be dotting two targets and leaving the healer dot free for cc. Look for opportunities to swap between the two targets with dots (Swap on defensive cd's, stuff out of position due to fear, etc). If you are able to swap quickly and efficiently it puts a massive amount of pressure on the opposing healer. Couple that with the huge amount of cc at your disposal (especially if you play HLD) and the other team gets overwhelmed. The strength of the comp is the ability to switch quickly and how vulnerable the opposing healer is to all the control you can put out.
Posted Image

#5 Filovirus

Filovirus
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • RBG: 2795

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:25 AM

Loincloth said:

lol what? The emphasis on the comp and the biggest strength is the ability to do heavy damage to 2 targets in a short amount of time. You should be dotting two targets and leaving the healer dot free for cc. Look for opportunities to swap between the two targets with dots (Swap on defensive cd's, stuff out of position due to fear, etc). If you are able to swap quickly and efficiently it puts a massive amount of pressure on the opposing healer. Couple that with the huge amount of cc at your disposal (especially if you play HLD) and the other team gets overwhelmed. The strength of the comp is the ability to switch quickly and how vulnerable the opposing healer is to all the control you can put out.

The comp's strength isn't actually based on the ability to switch targets. Maybe as destro I can see that, but as affliction that is definitely not the case. Not really sure who even runs as destruction anymore, affliction just seems too good to pass up right now.

We found success by heavily ccing the opposing healer and putting out enormous pressure into a target. Mages, rogues, and other hunters die the fastest. If you know that they are going to be BoPed or Divine Sacced or Pain Suppressioned really soon, start loading up dots on another target so that you can switch fairly quickly.

I definitely wouldn't say the strength of this comp lies in the switches though.

#6 Mastertrypov

Mastertrypov

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:32 AM

Sholock i know your teammate rogue Tosan, saw his BC s2 Tosantwos 2 rogues movie =)

#7 Sholock

Sholock
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:40 AM

yeah he's a boss. too bad he quit in the beginning of december :(

#8 Threefaced

Threefaced
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:48 AM

When we played hld with loin we locked most healers out so hard that it didnt really matter what we hit tbh ><

#9 Loincloth

Loincloth
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

Shammerz said:

The comp's strength isn't actually based on the ability to switch targets. Maybe as destro I can see that, but as affliction that is definitely not the case. Not really sure who even runs as destruction anymore, affliction just seems too good to pass up right now.

We found success by heavily ccing the opposing healer and putting out enormous pressure into a target. Mages, rogues, and other hunters die the fastest. If you know that they are going to be BoPed or Divine Sacced or Pain Suppressioned really soon, start loading up dots on another target so that you can switch fairly quickly.

I definitely wouldn't say the strength of this comp lies in the switches though.

Against quality opponents why would you not swap off defensive cd's to generate pressure? Of course you will have a "primary" kill target, being whichever target has used the most cd's and is thus closer to dying, but there have been numerous times (going to use RMP as an example, yes i know hunters shit on them but its an example people can easily visualize) when a quick swap after a mage blocks to a rogue who already had dots on him instantly forces cloak, next global is flare to get him back out, focus bar in the back of your mind to grab the penance that is coming on the mage and all of a sudden you have a rogue at 30 percent health after cloaking, a mage still at 20 percent health after blocking, and a priest that has just blown pain sup on a target he could have healed to full if there was less pressure and probably trinketed a scatter or something. This could not have been possible without the warlocks dots on two targets and most likely a nice series of cc on the priest.

If you had concentrated all your dots etc on one target you probably would have had a rogue with maybe a ua on him but not nearly enough dot support for your hunter to drop him to panic range within the 3-4 seconds when the priest is trying to recover on the iceblocked mage. The same mentality and principle applies to many comps you face as HLD... there are rarely times when you train one target the whole game and score a kill against good opponants. Many times the momentum is gained once the first defensive cd is forced and the team is overwhelmed shortly after. Keep in mind this is HLD, and I have had no experience playing with HLP I would assume that comp has a different rhythm but when I do run the comp next season I will probably apply many of the same concepts..

You say that you would load up dots on an opponent when you think a sac or a bop or pain sup or w/e is imminent, but if you gain momentum of a game early and your druid is free to cyclone, those defensive cooldowns are coming pretty darn quickly and since the healer is going to be dot free because it will probably be chain cycloned trapped scatter fear silenced etc, why wouldnt you load up dots on another target to make the healer fall behind on your primary kill and force cooldowns even earlier? There are also many times where a target with a couple dots on it finds itself over extended due to getting kited out of los or feared, and swaps in those situations are extremely effective (also would have not have been possible without liberal pre-dotting prior to swap).
Posted Image

#10 zajklon

zajklon
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Bronzebeard
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

gl having your hunter peel/cc for you if there are dots on his target.. there are times where you can dot 2 people yeah, but in most cases its just easyer to play safe and just blow something up after the healer is out of cd's.

#11 Loincloth

Loincloth
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

zajklon said:

gl having your hunter peel/cc for you if there are dots on his target.. there are times where you can dot 2 people yeah, but in most cases its just easyer to play safe and just blow something up after the healer is out of cd's.

The only peel not able to be used on a target when it has dots on it is scatter. Cyclone, fear, deathcoil, pet pin, cyclone, pet freedom for lock can all be used. But honestly do you know what the best peel is for a warlock with melee on it? Shitting all over its chest. If a melee is putting out heavy pressure on my warlock im destroying it while putting my scatters into the healer and silences into the opposing caster dps.

If its a double cleave team good job letting a hunter freecast on your team and Im basically locking out the other teams healer by myself, 1 legit peel will relieve the pressure on your warlock and give your druid time to get a cyclone or two off and by then one of the cleaves should be in serious trouble. It sounds like you just need a hunter thats got your back ;D
Posted Image

#12 Loincloth

Loincloth
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents:

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:48 AM

Cool thanks for the down reps. Keep pumping those dots into one target and then complain about class balance when you lose. After you're done crying go ahead and re-read the 6 paragraphs I gave you.

Im out, freakin clowns rofl
Posted Image

#13 Filovirus

Filovirus
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:02 AM

Played the comp to r1 and giving my opinion based on the 200 games we played together netted me -rep and the comment "wrong".

#14 Filovirus

Filovirus
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:04 AM

Loincloth said:

Against quality opponents why would you not swap off defensive cd's to generate pressure? Of course you will have a "primary" kill target, being whichever target has used the most cd's and is thus closer to dying, but there have been numerous times (going to use RMP as an example, yes i know hunters shit on them but its an example people can easily visualize) when a quick swap after a mage blocks to a rogue who already had dots on him instantly forces cloak, next global is flare to get him back out, focus bar in the back of your mind to grab the penance that is coming on the mage and all of a sudden you have a rogue at 30 percent health after cloaking, a mage still at 20 percent health after blocking, and a priest that has just blown pain sup on a target he could have healed to full if there was less pressure and probably trinketed a scatter or something. This could not have been possible without the warlocks dots on two targets and most likely a nice series of cc on the priest.

I actually said that we do prepare a switch when we sense major cooldowns on the verge of being blown.

#15 Dxm

Dxm
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Hyjal
  • Whirlwind

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:44 AM

Shammerz said:

I actually said that we do prepare a switch when we sense major cooldowns on the verge of being blown.

solid advice from both of you, +rep

when're you making that pally/lock guide?
Posted Image

Rexington leverages core skillsets and world-class team synergy through sodomy to provide clients worldwide with robust, scalable, turnkey implementations of personalized, Internet-enabled e-solution architectures that accelerate response to real-world market demands, integrating and enhancing the e-readiness capabilities of their production environments across the enterprise, giving them a critical competitive advantage and swooping on niggas in the club.

#16 Filovirus

Filovirus
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:12 AM

Dxm said:

solid advice from both of you, +rep

when're you making that pally/lock guide?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH that avatar is fucking hilarious.

My turn to +rep.

I think I will actually be posting strats for my comps on

http://www.skill-capped.com/ initially. When I finish it I will probably post it on arenajunkies at some point.

#17 Dxm

Dxm
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Hyjal
  • Whirlwind

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

Shammerz said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH that avatar is fucking hilarious.

My turn to +rep.

I think I will actually be posting strats for my comps on

http://www.skill-capped.com/ initially. When I finish it I will probably post it on arenajunkies at some point.

hah, thanx. i was gonna fill out the rest, then got lazy.
Posted Image

Rexington leverages core skillsets and world-class team synergy through sodomy to provide clients worldwide with robust, scalable, turnkey implementations of personalized, Internet-enabled e-solution architectures that accelerate response to real-world market demands, integrating and enhancing the e-readiness capabilities of their production environments across the enterprise, giving them a critical competitive advantage and swooping on niggas in the club.

#18 Varnius

Varnius
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Mannoroth
  • Ruin
  • RBG: 2379

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:21 AM

Typically if you're a warlock, you're not going to play a comp like TSG and tunnel vision a single target the entire game.  Tunnel visioning a single target and hoping that significant initial CC on the healer will kill it might be successful, but it's not the sign of a skilled affliction warlock.

There's a lot more you can do with affliction in terms of overall strategy, so it seems a waste of the tree's advantages to play it like pre-nerf wizard cleave and hope something eventually dies from single-target pressure.

#19 zajklon

zajklon
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Bronzebeard
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

Loincloth said:

Cool thanks for the down reps. Keep pumping those dots into one target and then complain about class balance when you lose. After you're done crying go ahead and re-read the 6 paragraphs I gave you.

Im out, freakin clowns rofl

i actually didn't downrep you, but okay bro :rolleyes:

i can downrep you 3 times now if you want me to prove it :')

but you on the other hand had to downrep me 2 times :( (and also lolled at the i'm a 10x better player than you :') can't talk with wotlk cleave heroes...)

#20 crs

crs
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Talnivarr
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Frost
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:35 PM

hunter/druid/warlock gets alot better when your teamplay increases so don't give up in the beginning if you have a hard time.

Make up clear CC chains vs each and every comp after a match when you play them, helps alot if you don't have to discuss in the game what to do.

One of the most fun comps I've played really, really shows when your team plays really good, you can lock out the other team completely with some good CC coordination / rotations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<