#21 Rokusha

Rokusha
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Hyjal
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:32 AM

Mods are your friends. (Proximo, Afflicted, NEBC)

Focuses are also your friends. (Focus cs or Focus poly) <--- This should be on the class macros section

Focuses and mods make arena a lot less hectic =)

#22 Tahmus

Tahmus
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Magtheridon
  • Ruin
  • Talents:

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:30 AM

Always remember to breath. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Close your eyes for a few seconds when you do this, and clear your mind.

#23 Kcolraw

Kcolraw
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Deathwing
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Affliction
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:32 AM

how do i stay calm? i comb my beard and smoke a sesh~

#24 Seriously

Seriously

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:17 AM

I still get antsy, anxious whenever I play above 2200 rating 2s. I'm just an anxious person though.

#25 Azore

Azore
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Mannoroth
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Unholy

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

practice :)
simply the best thing u can do to stay calm. do a lot of duell agains each class, try to learn every skill of them by heart. when u start acting automaticly to specific situation, u have more time to think an overwatch the whole fight!

#26 Disaster

Disaster
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Bloodscalp
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

you have to play until everything is second nature.

unfortunately you're a mage, the most adrenaline rushing pumping class in the game, especially in arena when you are 75% of the team.
disaster has been inactive since end of s3.
accomplishments (on this or another priest):
2400 2v2 dpriest rogue s3
2200 3v3 pmr s3
2150 5v5 eurocomp s3
the following was accomplished in first 3 weeks of s4
2050 2v2 spriest rogue s4
2020 3v3 shadowplay
1950 2v2 ua lock/spriest

currently: inactive since july, will pick up WOLK mid december

#27 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Stormscale
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:33 AM

becoming freaked out and angry at arena will only make you play worse.

#28 Xism

Xism
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • TW-尖石
  • 嗜血
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:58 AM

I find that playing too many games in a row for me will affect my focus and ability to stay calm. after the 20 game mark i start yelling at teamates, tunnel visioning etc, so we just stay under 20 games in row and we're fine:cool:

#29 Guntt

Guntt
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Mannoroth
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:00 AM

. Right now, the druid on my team has yet to get a working mic so it's just me talking to myself on vent and hoping he understands what I'm trying to say. We get around that by making him raid leader and he makes some Raid warning macros when he catches a bad CC or something of that nature. .

heh, i got to 1900 before i xfered playing like this

i told him to make one macro

/rw CC'D SHIELD UP

fun times

to the op:
i used to rage, but you just have to learn to cope with it. when you have a lot to do in a small time frame, it's easy to get frustrated. just keep focused and don't sweat anything. mistakes happen, resists happen, mace stuns happen, you just gotta keep working your game plan. in time, it gets easier as certain things become instinct.
your teammates play a large roll in this too because you start to know what to expect from them. you will all become more confident in your abilities and in turn your communication will get sharper too.

tl:dr: practise practise practise

#30 Paatero

Paatero
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Mazrigos
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents:

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:25 AM

Hey, someone has the EXACT same problem as I did! I didn't trust my own skills and abilities back a while ago, and we were struggling at 1650-1700 rating with my cousin and brother.

They were kinda amazed at how bad our games went back then, and usually asked me why weren't I doing anything. My answer usually was something like "I don't want to CC them because I'm afraid of getting counterspelled/silenced". I was afraid of losing.
At some point however you will have to start trying.

Due to training all this has calmed, actually in 2v2 later than in 3v3 (we spent 10 hours one weekend to get up from 1800 to 2k in 2v2, 160 matches) and every night when we finished playing I went to sleep with the thought in mind "I'll never log on WoW again."

Well as you can guess, I still wanted to try and next evening we started to do a bit better, and finally reached the 2k, and you can easily guess how happy I was.

So, it gets better with training, when you start to do all things by routine/instinct, you can focus more on the points that you need to.

#31 Steamboat

Steamboat

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:43 AM

play CS for a couple of years...I used to get all freaked out in those 1vX situations. now im calm and quick no matter what.

#32 Irishrover

Irishrover
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Barthilas
  • Bloodlust

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:41 AM

I don't stay calm

#33 Xism

Xism
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • TW-尖石
  • 嗜血

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:46 AM

play CS for a couple of years...I used to get all freaked out in those 1vX situations. now im calm and quick no matter what.

except in cs 1vX is not impossible with skill. try 1vXing in arena when they have a healer still alive:(

#34 Irishrover

Irishrover
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Barthilas
  • Bloodlust

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:50 AM

Been there done that

#35 Snuffy

Snuffy
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Blackrock
  • Bloodlust

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:20 AM

play the game for what it is ... a game, and not take it so seriously.

i play chilled all the time, unless it was something for money, i wouldn't get excited etc. the only time my adrenaline does get pumped from playing games is when i play dota for money :P
Posted Image

#36 Viia

Viia
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:03 PM

Play more.

The more arena you play, the less nervous you will get.

I get this anxious feeling when I switch characters after pvp'ing for a long time on a different character. I never get this feeling on my druid anymore though.

#37 Tergeron

Tergeron
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:10 PM

Duel some before you go into arena, maybe play a few skirmishes with your team to warm up and start playing afew 2v2 skirmishes in your own free time and hope you run in with a 1v2. Winning doesnt really matter, as long as you get used to the adrenaline you can control it. Something else I saw mentioned was to play more arena, over time you will get used to it. Also dont play in a cold room =O I cant control my own shaking if I play in a cold room.

#38 Eve

Eve
  • Members

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

How do you stay calm?

Well, for one, it's a fucking game.

#39 Lav

Lav
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Ravenholdt
  • Whirlwind

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:07 PM

I still rage out if I don't keep my shit in check, but I'm learning to calm down. I'm a former Ranger, and anger was not a bad thing back then. My wife says I lost the "gray area" in between calm and rage at Ft Benning. I'm not as bad as some guys I know.

Arenas trigger a lot of the same instincts that combat exercises used to ignite. I feel the same way when my blood is up even if I'm just playing basketball or something. I like it sometimes, but it is not healthy in every case. I have to be very careful to keep it in check so the people with whom I play don't get chewed up by it.
Resistance is NOT futile; it is Voltage divided by Current.

#40 Hugonaut

Hugonaut

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:15 PM

Like everyone says it is a game. Read up on the strats before a fight so you know what to do. IF you already have a game plan in your head before a fight then its easy to relax and have fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<