Nevoron
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Wrathbringer
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents:

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:27 PM

Hey,

i play Mage + Rogue in 2v2 and Mage+Rogue+Disci in 3v3. 2v2s are kinda allright, not too much going on, i can handle it but 3v3 ... Everything so is fucking hectic and i need to watch so much stuff. If i watch a movie of my combo everything looks fucking calm and easy breeze but when i'm standing in the arena, there are 3 damn guys running around, i need to sort of watch all of them, to cs or poly them, i need to dmg because the rogue won't be able to nuke alone, i have fucking pets on me sometimes and i get damaged, so i need to watch the healer aswell, if he's unable to act i need to iceblock or whatever.

Arena drives me crazy and i leave almost every arena with my heart beating like the beat of some fucking gabber song, my hands are shaky and my communication slacks because i am so fucking focused trying to do everything at the same time.

How do you stay calm, keep overviewing stuff and actually do your job without almost dying irl?

I'd be thankful to get some tips.
-neVo

edit: Somehow my 3v3 rating doesn't show up at all, we are hopping around 1650-1720, currently at 1636 because of some bad matches vs. Full S3 ppl :(

#2 Algrumm

Algrumm
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Ravenholdt
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

Try to find a PvP video with commentary instead of ones showing them at their best.

Most arena videos show people doing absolutely their best against another teams absolute worst, they have games just as bad as yours.

#3 barradin

barradin
  • Members

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:36 PM

You obviously have no confidence in yourself.

You can not win if you do not have the will to do so -- thusly, you are afraid. Afraid of losing.

#4 Taifun

Taifun
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:37 PM

Don't give a shit about rating, play for fun ('till they announce end of season -.-) and laught at loses instead of getting angry.
Really, this is just a game, treat it as a game.

Only exception is when losing to downs playing 2dps who do nothing but spam two keys all match long, and to terrible Warrior-Druids who can't interrupt me once then I'm going down in mace stun spree.
When mentioned above situation occurs, you don't want to be with me on vent or in the same room.

#5 Nevoron

Nevoron
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Wrathbringer
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents:

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

I sure do want to win and i am afraid of loosing or lets just say i hate loosing, because i can't stay calm and do the stuff people tell me to do which is, from what i see in videos, right so in the end it might be me that fucked up the match because of some major mistake, missing CC or w/e.

This was a problem in 2v2s in the beginning also, because i wasn't really focused i frostnovaed people out of the rogues blind or some other bad stuff that made us loose, this has calmed down over time with some practice but in 3v3 its like double as hard.

edit: i do somewhat worry about rating as it directly translates into how fast i'll get my S3 gear. I'm not too fancy equipped, even now i'm missing 2 trinkets and i have 4/5 S1 and 1/5 S3 (Gloves).

#6 Majy

Majy
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Hyjal
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:45 PM

Yea, don't worry about rating. Just focus on playing. Play your best, that's all there is to it.

It's just a game.

#7 Limewire

Limewire
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage
  • Talents:

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:45 PM

Just remind yourself its a game.

#8 Nevoron

Nevoron
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Wrathbringer
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents:

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:54 PM

I know that it's just a game, but winning is even more fun than loosing so i do want to win and i wan't to improve. Fun gets lost when you win 2 matches and loose 20.

#9 Extinction

Extinction
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Hydraxis
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:06 PM

It's easy to stay calm when you are confident in your own ability and your partners. Right now, the druid on my team has yet to get a working mic so it's just me talking to myself on vent and hoping he understands what I'm trying to say. We get around that by making him raid leader and he makes some Raid warning macros when he catches a bad CC or something of that nature. I think the more you get use to playing with the same people and more you see your own ability improve the easier it is to stay calm. Also, playing more gives you the opportunity to be put in many different strenuous situations, and overcoming them then means you can overcome them any other time they may come up in the future.
Posted Image

#10 Epiphany

Epiphany
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Stormscale
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:10 PM

I know this might sound like the most obvious thing in the world... but don't forget to breathe! I get very nervous when I'm healing my main team, 90% of the time I feel like a loss is my fault unless it is blatantly obvious that it is someone else's.

So sometimes I have to force myself to take a few slow, deep breaths. It doesn't always fix everything, but it is sure does help!

#11 Poseîdon

Poseîdon
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Anub'arak
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Fire

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:19 PM

I think that for you the most important thing is to know which strategy you want to execute before you need to do so. To keep calm, arena needs to feel like something you do all the time. Talk <a lot> to your team mates between your matches and during preparation about how to improve (for example in pretty much every case there are even possible improvements if you won), but concentrate on the necessary things your teammates need to know (your own CC, call out for your partner's CC to help you both offensively and defensively... for example when you're trying to get a sheep off a rogue that interrupts you all the time, tell your rogue to blind him) once the arena has begun. That way neither you nor your team mates should get overwhelmed by the information that you need to cover.
Nothing beats gnomish DPS.

#12 Nevoron

Nevoron
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Wrathbringer
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents:

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

Yeah communication is actually quite slacking in our team.

We are also switching our priest, so maybe that will help.

#13 sanchita

sanchita
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Lightninghoof
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents:

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:20 AM

Just remember to proclaim how amazing you are at specific moments during a game. Some of these moments may include:

1- Run-by pally pummel to priest intercept to hunter pet intervene to BloodRage execute.

2- Fel Domination pummels.

3- Death coil reflects.

4- EM Chain Lightning reflects to intercept + execute.

5- Etc.

Keeps your confidence up.

#14 Flowbie

Flowbie
  • Members

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:20 AM

just yell "RIP RIP RIP RIP" in vent

works good

#15 Peck

Peck
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow 0/1/2/0/2/1/0
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:29 PM

Practice is your best bet. As you play more and more with your teams you get used to their style, you know when you can depend on them, and you know when you need to help them. You also get used to seeing combos and knowing what your general strategy is, which makes it less hectic and just a matter of execution. Remind yourself this is for fun and relax a little bit. Experience is the best thing you can get to make yourself calm down and play smoothly.

Well... experience and weed... but that's about it. Weed ftw.

#16 tenderizor

tenderizor
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Fury

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

for rmp in 3's, the most vocal one should be the rogue, since he has the least amount of tasks to do versus the mage/priest, you should just try to do your best, and most of all as everyone else has stated have fun.

as you have fun, and have communication, team work will soon follow as will the wins

#17 Peavy

Peavy
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Burning Legion
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Demonology

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

It's been said many times already, but I'm going to go ahead and say it again. WoW's a game, have some fun! Relax and take it one step at a time--you can always make a new team if you screw up too bad.
2v2 - Druid or Priest/Lock, getting people 1850 PR.
3v3 - War/Lock/Druid, point selling between multiple teams.
5v5 - 2346, selling points on one team, leveling another.

#18 Jaricho

Jaricho
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Hellscream
  • Rampage
  • Talents:

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

Don't give a shit about rating, play for fun ('till they announce end of season -.-) and laught at loses instead of getting angry.
Really, this is just a game, treat it as a game.

This is really the best advice that can be given. It can be a stressful grind to the top, and you are going to lose games along the way. Instead of playing the blame game as to why you lost those games, just figure out what to do when you get into that situation again. In short, Lose the erection for gear and play for FUN.

#19 Wonder

Wonder
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

I PvP because of the adrenaline rush. I can be in a 30˚ room, and after an hour of arena (on short queues), my heart will be racing, I'll be sweating a little (eww), and my hands'll be shaking.

But there's a difference between feeling the rush and being one of those people who gets really pissed after each loss. Just remember that there's no limit to how many games you can play, and you have no control over what team you get, so don't worry so much, and just deal with what you can do, which is try to win.

#20 tristantio

tristantio
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Twisting Nether
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents:

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

I've never got a rush from doing arena.

Last time that happened with a video game was when I was 10 or so playing Super Mario for the Super Nintendo when it first came out and fighting the final Bowser. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<