#21 stray

stray
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Terrordar
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents:

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:05 AM

does anyone else has that problems with "START MENU" key on keyboard. how to get rid of it, if you don't count to pull off the key from keyboard.. sometimes i accidentaly press that spell and "START" key, and it throws me in dekstop,.. but we still win teh game in arena.

Haven't tested if it works in wow, but try this to remap your keyboard:
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

#22 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:30 AM

Haven't tested if it works in wow, but try this to remap your keyboard:
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

http://www.usnetizen...ix_capslock.php
http://www.majorgeek...Keys_d4605.html

Oh yea, better to change it so it's another CTRL or something, not just completely unbind it. Change CAPSLOCK while you're at it.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#23 Lover

Lover
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Twilight's Hammer
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

does anyone use [help] [harm] macros to reduce keybinds?

I've found them immensely helpful, although I do see they work wonders for hybrid healers or healers that are required to go offensive often such as priests/shamans/restokin etc, while they barely save you a keybind or two if you're a dps class with barely a few friendly spells but they can still save you a few binds I guess.

I, for instance, have mind blast/flash heal bound to 1, smite/gh to 2, shield/mb to Q, renew/pain to e, ps/mc to 3, dp/pi to 4, binding heal/holy fire/inner fire to v (since binding heal has no self cast, saving a bind with self cast inner fire) etc, I can link all my macros and binds if anyone wants it. Ofc, the spells that are offensive/defensive like dispel penance take up an entire bind by themselves, this goes without saying ^^.

It has worked wonders for me, effectively reducing my binds by 40% or something.

I still haven't keybound party/arena targeting though. :/

#24 Crylus

Crylus
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Kilrogg
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

What else do people use to target besides f1-f5? Those keys seem a little out of the way.

I'm a carebear who's trying to get into arena and I'm used to click healing.

#25 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

http://www.arenajunk...ad.php?t=138622

TL;DR: Mouse wheel up/down & shit (modifiers, etc).
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#26 Jacksmiles

Jacksmiles
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Sen'jin
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:28 AM

This changed my life. Just starting arenas and i'm definitely goin to use this info.

#27 ktremblay

ktremblay
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:07 PM

I find it hard to get used to key bindings outside of the typical WSDA range :S

It is really difficult to drop old habits (such as clicking) but I have managed to get myself into the habit of using something like the following:

1 2 3 4 Q E F T G S+W S+D
With A and D bound to strafing instead of turning.

Oh well, practice practice practice, right?
Posted Image

#28 Geass

Geass
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Haomarush
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

Good post, i learned some from it.
I only disagree on the "clicking can be as fast as keybinds" xD

#29 Evrai

Evrai
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Shattered Halls
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Arcane

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:12 AM

Nice post

#30 reffum

reffum
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Proudmoore
  • Bloodlust

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

It's so great to watch keyboard turners come at you run through them and it takes them like 5 seconds to turn and you just do it again.

#31 Gann1

Gann1
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Ravenholdt
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:31 AM

this is a good post

#32 FearSnoPro

FearSnoPro
  • Members

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

The funny thing is, shortly after hitting level 70(my first end game experience) i changed to using SDFC to move because i felt(as a warlock) i could utilize my keyboard better and reach more keys.

Since then I have been made fun of by my RL friends that play, my arena partners, and ANY GUILD of which I applied to.

pretty interesting to finally see someone else with my logic
SwAgGa StOoPiD

#33 stabix

stabix
  • Members
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

as I daily work with macs and play with my gaming pc at home. I found out using Apple's Aluminium keyboard on my PC was a big step forward.. these keys are just meant for facerolling :) I suggest ppl to try it out.

Posted Image

#34 Brullig

Brullig
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

It's so great to watch keyboard turners come at you run through them and it takes them like 5 seconds to turn and you just do it again.

Practice jousting like the Argent Tournament :)

#35 Astralwalker

Astralwalker
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:41 AM

Very helpful post IMO.
:druid::mage:

#36 Zazafront

Zazafront
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1725
  • 3v3: 384
  • RBG: 384

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

My keyboard setup
Posted Image
http://bayimg.com/OaJaCAACf

(Note that 3,4 and 5,6 are bound to the same spell to avoid missclicks)

lol?

#37 Lazylol

Lazylol
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

lol?

Yea I thought the same thing, those binds just seem really really clunky to me.

When I get a sec I'll post what I use so if someone new comes by this thread they might try something a little easier to get used to.

:druid: Feral :druid:
FOR LIFE!

#38 Lazylol

Lazylol
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

This is more or less how my keyboard is set up for every character I play currently.

Posted Image

Remember this is based on a standard keyboard, and I myself do not have huge hands so in some cases such as the numbers along the top you could bind as far as 7 and it should still be comfortable for you if you have bigger hands.

BLUE indicates movement keys, as you can see I have them bound to E,S,D and F which I do because it frees up three extra keys to use for spells which are Q, W and A. You may also use modifier keys GREEN to make more use of your movement keys as bindings for spells.

YELLOW indicates spells all of which are very easily accessed from where your hand should always be on the movement keys, and with the numbers as I stated before you could go as far as 7 if your hands are big enough. So in total that gives you 20 spells to be bound not including modifiers.

GREEN indicates the only modifiers I use which are Shift and Control I almost never use alt as it seems like it's very hard to hit for me and I have no muscle memory to use it as a modifier, but if you are used to hitting alt then you could switch control to alt. If you use this layout and both modifiers that would open up 60 key binds for spells in total, not including modifiers for the movement keys which I use myself.

That is what my bindings look like, and they are made to be easily translated into use for any class/spec as I play a lot of different classes regularly and need to keep it simple for that.

Hope you try it out and see how you like it, any feedback would be appreciated.

I only posted this because the binding set up posted here just seems like it would be VERY clunky and hard to get used to for someone new to key binding, no disrespect meant to the OP but I'm sure he's had a long time to get used to them and I wanted to post something a little easier for someone who may be new to binding in general.

:druid: Feral :druid:
FOR LIFE!

#39 Korial

Korial
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • EU-Mannoroth
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:15 AM

seriously guys^^ you should get a german keyboard with a smaller shift but with the "<" key left from your "y" key.
I still use wasd and i simply love that key. got everything binded from 1-6 + shift 1-6 + r,f,g,t,x,y,<,c + shift+stuff.
And I also got the logitech mx518 with like 12 additional keybinds (in comparison to a mouse with a wheel, left and right) which makes it pretty easy to bind everything you ever need.

But this thread really helped me to realize, that i have to get out of my "comfort zone" because I'm only healing with mouse-overs in PvE and I really need to get away from that in PvP
Player: Hello, 911 emergency? I have just been shot in the arm!
911: QQ more
Player: What!?
911: Your arm is fine, Learn to play.

#40 Chism

Chism
  • Barylen
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Wildhammer
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

Although I do think this is a nice guide to newer players, I feel that this information is specific and personal. For example, many players use A and D for strafe and use Q and E for other bindings. Try to be a little more broad and open-minded in the sense that most players do not use the same keyboard/mouse as you and don't have the same comfort with the same bindings.

When I target "you", I really just want others that are trying to learn from this to note that if binding blablabla is awkward for you, don't use it. Just because you see cool kid 7 season gladiator "supacoolkid" use Alt-0, don't force yourself to use it.
Nice guide. Thanks for posting it. Gives a lot of little tricks to help with mechanics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<