• Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery
  • Talents: Restoration 2/0/0/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1456
  • 3v3: 2092
  • RBG: 1629

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:28 PM

I find it, that when it comes down to a mana game, we're always able to co-ordinate offensive pressure together with peeling for drinking.

Many times its just about playing as mana wise as possible (eg, dont purge 5x hots, and dont purge 7 trash debuffs to get wings etc).

Purge at the right times, other than that drink or position yourself to not get switched to.

Depending on the comp you play i would suggest playing as offensive as possible all the time. Shamans dont really have many defensive cooldowns, so allowed other team to gain pressure is really not good.

Againts many comps tho, its not always easy and you feel really shit on because of your limited variation of abilites. For example melee cleave or rmps training you.

You can try to peel to let your healer(s) drink, but with full mp5 set and mana meta, i find myself able to spam purge a priest for example, going through the trash buffs and not completely rape my mana. That's why i suggested the meta socket, as it helps me keeping mana up in thight situations where I'm zerged, or where i have to assist my warrior with purges and offensive shocks/damage.

#42 Harliya

Harliya
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Quel'dorei
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

Blowi you should proly add a section about wolves. I mentioned it in my earlier post if you want to look back to page 3. Few other things in there for the enhnace section.

#43 Blowi

Blowi
  • Moderators
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Agamaggan
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:44 PM

Blowi you should proly add a section about wolves. I mentioned it in my earlier post if you want to look back to page 3. Few other things in there for the enhnace section.

I'll try find it, if I can!

Good job mentioning! I don't think of wolves as I am not enhancement :<

#44 Neather

Neather
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, as double healer it might go down to that

Other setups i doubt it if everythings executed well

#45 Eowynnz

Eowynnz
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:14 PM

Assuming you don't got any professions, are exalted with some of the Northrend reputation, and only gear for MP5.

Enchanting your gear is a major part of boosting your stats. You want the most effective enchanting to not waste valuable stat points and end up gemming bad.
First of all, all enchants should be up to date, eg. 63 SP on weapon instead of 50.
Second you need to get the best enchants for your gear, and suck out all the stat points you can get.
An example, the leg enchant with +40 Resilience and +28 Stamina versus the +50 Spell power and +30 stamina, you have to split the two stats up, to find the best solution.
Figuring out which one is best is simple: It takes 2 x Mystic King's Amber to receive the 40 Resilience, wheres 2 x Runed Cardinal Rubies only yield you 46 Spell Power. This way, you can simply gem 2 x Mystic King's Amber to make up for the loss of stats if you pick the +50 Spell Power/+30 Stamina enchant.
If you're going to max out your stats, you have to calculate each one of the enchants, to find out which gives you the most stat points per item slot. This can be very time demanding, and therefore, I've done it for you!

Head: 30 Spell Power/10 MP5 (The Wyrmrest Accord)
Shoulders: 24 Spell Power/8 MP5 (The Sons of Hodir)
Cloak: +35 Spell Penetration
Chest: 10 Stats/20 Resilience - 100% your own choice
Wrist: +40 Stamina
Gloves: +28 Spell Power
Legs: +50 Spell Power/+30 Stamina
Feet: +15 Stamina/Minor Run Speed
Mainhand: +63 Spell Power
Shield: +25 Intellect

These are the best choices stat wise, but you might choose other enchants, as some of these are pretty close (Wrist and head enchant ~1 stat points difference).

The reason that this is a good idea to follow, is that you can make up for the different stat losses through gems. If you want to maximize yourself, always use hybrid gems, eg +12 Spell power and 10 Resilience, as you'll overall benefit more from these.
twitch.tv/eowynnlol
2400+ rls/shadowplay

#46 Crator

Crator
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Silver Hand
  • Bloodlust

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

very well said Èowynn, this is exactly how i was itemizing my enchants/sockets but never seen someone else say it. +rep

#47 Blowi

Blowi
  • Moderators
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Agamaggan
  • Blackout

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:40 PM

going hybrid gems etc was already explained @ 1st page though i think

#48 Eowynnz

Eowynnz
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:49 PM

True, or well page 4, but i remember myself having a though time when i started, figuring out what enchants were best for me.
twitch.tv/eowynnlol
2400+ rls/shadowplay

#49 Moonies

Moonies
  • Moderators
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Elemental 1/0/0/0/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 957
  • 3v3: 2074
  • RBG: 192

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

I believe someone asked about restoration totemsets earlier..

Basically there's a few things to keep in mind and a few options, considering the fact you can only have a maximum of 3 sets at a time.
-Can I afford manawise to put in 4 totems in a set or do I only really need 2-3, thus saving a few hundred mana every time I use this set?
-Should I prioritize my sets vs certain classes/setups or vs certain situations?
-Do I think I can keep track of using more than 3 sets and just change them accordingly to what I meet while queueing?

A few suggestions for useful sets:
Against rogues: Earthbind, Nature Resistance, Cleansing. I leave out the fire totem here because you may or may not find that flametongue totem is a waste of mana (like I described in my first point mentioned above). This is a personal opinion and it's up to you to decide whether you think you can afford it/think it is necessary.
Against rogue priests: Tremor, Grounding, Cleansing. Grounding is optional here because you may want to have it off cooldown for when you really need it - for example to avoid a mana burn. Instead you could add a Nature Res totem for instance.
Against Wizardcleaves: Tremor, Grounding, Fire Res, Frost Res. (A possible option is to cast this set and then use Flametongue totem after if there is no mage)
Against Warlocks: Tremor, Grounding, Mana Spring, Flametongue (I add Flametongue here because against warlocks mana is generally not a problem at all)
Against warriors: Tremor (this basically saves you a trinket if he times his fear properly), Mana spring.

This is only a handful suggestions out of many possible variations. You can adjust them as you like, or change them depending on what you meet while queueing (make sure you don't forget which set=which bind in that case). I'd make sure to use the sets as much as possible and practice the usage of it in some BGs or duels for example to get used to them and to learn what totems are in what set bound to what key. Ofcourse you don't need sets for every possible situation, and often just placing one totem at a time or even placing them one by one is perfectly fine aswell

#50 Barburas

Barburas
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • RBG: 2586

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:09 AM

You shamans are all so lovely :3 I want to ruffle your hair and tickle your tummies and sprinkle you with rosepettles.

Especially moonies (not blowi).

Edit - A small bit of info, while not especially useful, you can use stoneclaw absorb to prevent an arms warrior getting taste for blood procs; so stopping them being able to overpower you initially which can buy you the few crucial seconds you may need to survive in arenas - this means it's often better to drop it preemptively if you can as dropping it after they've got a proc means you still have to eat the damage of an overpower and requires you to fake the overpower to not get unrelenting assault.

#51 Strygwyr117

Strygwyr117
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:51 AM

Gemming/Gearing/Speccing

Restoration

Been playing Restoration for about 4 seasons so I think I'll chime in on this one...

Restoration Shamans are unique healers in many different aspects but primarily because Restoration Shamans are the only healer without an "oh-shit!" button (Barkskin for Restoration Druids, Pain Supression for Disc Priests, and Bubble for Holy Paladins) or a usable defensive cooldown while stunned. For this reason alone, you'll always be a great hot-swap target, especially vs. heavy stun teams such as those that include a Retribution Paladin or a Rogue. For S7, and mainly the popularity of heavy burst teams such as Wizard's Cleave or Beast Cleave, it's HIGHLY suggested that you run at about 1,000 Resilience and at least 23,500 - 25,000 HP (this holds true for every Shaman comp). I've found that to gem more then 1,1000 Resilience begins to sacrifice too much stamina but to dip to 900 results in some incredible critical hits from Destruction warlocks, in particular ones that have access to 258 gear and can end your life if the critical strikes provide him the opportunity.

Now a full Relentless gear will provide you a safe amount of base Resilience/Stamina but you'll end up gemming some more in order to keep your set bonuses but remember that anything past 1,100 Resilience is overshot. At the same time, you shouldn't over gem for Stamina because s huge base health pool will disappear without the proper damage reduction, especially vs. UA Locks whose dots will eat your health pool alive while doing full damage to another teammate.

Gemming

For both Restoration and Elemental you need a base of 110 Spell Penetration in order for your purges not to be resisted and wasting precious globals/mana. Three Stormy Majestic Zircon (see below) with 35 Spell Penetration to cloak brings you up to exactly 110. Again it's helpful to keep a balance between your Resilience/Stamina but if you're more comfortable with running with a higher health pool then gem more towards stamina and reversely, if you prefer more damage reduction then gem for more Resilience but I highly suggest you stay within the stated parameters (1,000 Resilience/23,500-25,000 HP). If you plan on being an offspec Elemental Shaman, I still suggest you keep the minimum Resilience rating but gem Spell Power in every other available slot because of how well Spell Power stacks with Lava Burst. (This is because you're usual the focus target :(, especially in 5s).

As for your meta, I've personally used Insightful Earthsiege Diamond and Powerful Earthshatter Diamond as an Orc and a Tauren and in both cases I've found the Insightful Earthsiege Diamond to provide a significant amount of Mp5 over even a short match. However, for those who aren't in full Relentless gear it's suggested that you use the Powerful Earthshatter Diamond, especially if you're an Orc, in order to adjust for your lack of Resilience/Stamina.

Suggested gems:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41401
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44088
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40154
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40122
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40113
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40132
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40168

Gearing

Please note that these suggestions are only for the 3v3 and 5v5 bracket due to Blizzard removing 2v2 Gladiator standings.

Now there's a long standing debate between gearing for full Mp5 (Ringmail) or full Critical (Mail) (Haste no longer plays a significant factor due to the haste given by Riptide and Lesser Healing Wave already having a base 1.5 second cast time) but a general consensus I've gathered is you should gear depending on your comp. If you're going to be running a comp that's designed to last longer then three minuets, or a comp not designed to beat the opposing team in the opening Bloodlust or shortly after, such as Double Healer Warrior, then it's more beneficial to gear for Critical gear because without significant Riptide abuse you should be able to keep up your mana pool. Remember though that for gearing full Mp5 gear you significantly reduce your capabilities as playing Elemental for your off-spec!

For which pieces, I see most people, including myself, running 3/2 in order to have the two set bonus (100 Resilience!) but I've found that 5/0 pays greater dividends vs. caster heavy comps such as Spell Cleave so if possible then you should pick up both and swap around accordingly.

Speccing

As stated previously, LHW spec relies heavily on keeping up the riptide +Critical. Although this is entirely possible, a lot of the time I've found you can't keep hitting someone with riptide just to gain the buff because enough pressure is being put out that if you're not healing they will fall. Personally I swear by the HW build, it makes healing through massive damage manageable and despite it not being cost effective in the long term, I can safely say that 1/5 games includes a large HW save, particularly vs. a rogue/x combo where you've manage to fake cast the kick.

I use 0/13/58 which is a mana/survivability build that sacrifices Critical talents for other tools such as Nature's Guardian. My comp, Retribution/BM/Restoration, makes me a very appealing swap target. Depending on what you're planning on running, you should change the talents around accordingly. For example as RLS, a comp which has two much sexier swap targets then yourself in most situations, I've swapped the 4 points out of Nature's Guardian for Thundering Strikes and then took out the 4 points to spec to Mana Tide for an additional 3 points into Tidal Waves. Because of the very heavy-burst capabilities in this comp I traded some survivability and mana tools for more ability for more damage.

Remember, the way how you spec has a direct correlation on how you gear. Whatever you feel comfortable going into the Arena with is what you should be using, the suggested numbers are simply what I've found to be successful vs. most teams.

My survival/mana spec:

http://www.wowarmory...313541120331251

P.S.

<3 Blowi, it's about time you got this out.
S3 - Lady Vashj/Kael'thas Sunstrider.
S4 - Illidan/Brutallus.
S5 - Gladiator 2v2/3v3/5v5 (US-Cyclone).
S6 - Attendance Boss (US-Cyclone).
S7 - Gladiator 3v3 x2 (US-Vindication/Emberstorm).
S8 - Gladiator 3v3/5v5 (US-Cyclone).

Previously known as Strygwyr from Bloodscalp-Cyclone, Dionysus from Earthen Ring-Vindication, Stryg from Rivendare-Emberstorm, and Lvblol from Blackrock-Bloodlust.

#52 Darksoldierr

Darksoldierr
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Enhancement 1/0/2/2/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 848

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:56 AM

oh my god.
What do humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea.

#53 Blowi

Blowi
  • Moderators
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Agamaggan
  • Blackout

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

Thanks a lot Moonies & Dionysus, I'll add it when I get back from school :3

Much love to both of you, and +rep for contributing!

Keep it coming friends!

#54 Moonies

Moonies
  • Moderators
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

Because not all teams have spread-out damage and because even as HW spec you still use LHW

#55 Eowynnz

Eowynnz
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:43 PM

wtf is with all this love?

it's nice but...
twitch.tv/eowynnlol
2400+ rls/shadowplay

#56 Darksoldierr

Darksoldierr
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Enhancement 1/0/2/2/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 848

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:48 PM

tauren shaman all the way since 5 years !
What do humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea.

#57 Blowi

Blowi
  • Moderators
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Agamaggan
  • Blackout

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

updated some with dionysus & moonies! thanks a lot both of u

XOXO

i might adjust or rewrite some of it more to cut it down a little, hope u don't mind

#58 Strygwyr117

Strygwyr117
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Daggerspine
  • Cyclone

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:53 PM

updated some with dionysus & moonies! thanks a lot both of u

XOXO

i might adjust or rewrite some of it more to cut it down a little, hope u don't mind

<3 LuB it was my pleasure to help.
S3 - Lady Vashj/Kael'thas Sunstrider.
S4 - Illidan/Brutallus.
S5 - Gladiator 2v2/3v3/5v5 (US-Cyclone).
S6 - Attendance Boss (US-Cyclone).
S7 - Gladiator 3v3 x2 (US-Vindication/Emberstorm).
S8 - Gladiator 3v3/5v5 (US-Cyclone).

Previously known as Strygwyr from Bloodscalp-Cyclone, Dionysus from Earthen Ring-Vindication, Stryg from Rivendare-Emberstorm, and Lvblol from Blackrock-Bloodlust.

#59 Pahtak

Pahtak
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • RBG: 958

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

11/10 :)

#60 Moonies

Moonies
  • Moderators
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

Small update on the macros
These are not mine, someone else was kind enough to notify me of these macros and asked me to post this, so here goes

#showtooltip
/cast [noharm,nomod][mod:alt,target=player][mod:shift,target=party1][mod:ctrl,target=party2]Friendly spell here
/cast [harm,nomod]Enemy spell here

You can at all times cast that friendly spell at your 2 teampartners or yourself on one button. You can target an enemy and cast for example lavaburst at them, on the same button too. You can also target a friendly unit like a pet and cast that friendly spell on it.

--

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod][mod:alt,target=focus]Windshear
/focus [mod:shift]

Onebutton focus and windshear, useable for purge etc too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<