#22 Blowi

Blowi
  • Moderators
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Agamaggan
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:24 PM

Okay :b Just got home! Great to see people are liking this!

Moonies, you are my man :)! Same with Snerp :b! I'll rename the thread, thanks to ez :)

#23 Zoltån

Zoltån
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

+rep /wink
Spoiler

Drug and Pharmaceuticals expert Zoltang will uncover this mystery

Zoltang #1 rogue and #1 raver

#24 Blowi

Blowi
  • Moderators
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Agamaggan
  • Blackout

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

If Moonies or some good resto shaman would write the HW versus LHW, so we can get that cleared as well!

LuB

#25 Adden

Adden
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0/.
  • RBG: 1341

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

As for LHW vs. HW

I'd say going HW with full mp5 gear is by far better than LHW due to the simple fact that LHW is just way too much RNG based.

First of all, I guess people tend to go for LHW specc thinking it's way more mana efficent than HW which it isn't in my opinion.
In order to gain the Mana efficency from LHW-specc you first of all need a crit on your LHW and on top of that have luck with 60% chance of a Mana Orb to procc of that LHW crit which is just way too much based on luck for my taste.
If the Mana Orb had 100% chance to proc on LHW like it did before, LHW specc would have been somewhat more decent.

As for HW, stacking with an insane amount of mp5 will give you a very steady/passive mana efficency which feels alot more comforting than having to rely on the RNG from LHW/Water Orb Proccs.

And now the healing! A none critting LHW heals for ~5-6k on a target with Earth shield while a none critting HW heals for ~11-12k on the same target. So, you're heals with LHW specc are just insanely depended on crits If you don't crit it's like a 100% loss of healing which you could have gotten on demand with HW specc. Imagine facing an ARP capped bladestorming warrior and you're LHW specc just won't crit. It's pretty much GG!

A good thing with LHW specc is having Ancestral Healingway buff way more often, but that's only good against cleave teams pretty much which again is just depended on wether you face a cleave team or not since it's just waste of talent points against casters cleaves. But I'd still rather have 11-12k heals over having Ancestral Healingway pretty much.

So in my opinion, HW specc is pretty much a LHW specc with 100% crit chance :)

Duh, this was abit mind numbling to write this, hopefully you will understand!

#26 Blowi

Blowi
  • Moderators
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Agamaggan
  • Blackout

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

added, and thanks adden!

LuB

ps. tried make it a bit more easy to figure out and cleaned out some of the useless now

#27 Harliya

Harliya
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Quel'dorei
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

Wonderful start here blowi I'll work on some of the enhance stuff to add throughout the day today. Great job!

Alrighty to add a few things to the enhance section. Wolves usually come up every month or so and someone is upset about the broken mechanics and wondering if it is a common problem. As most shaman know that have played enhance since wotlk came out they have been bugged since release and have yet to be fixed in any way. The main issues come in that the pets are considered temp pets and not a full time pet. Therefore their ablities come out on auto-cast and will always come out on auto-cast even if you turn them off or attempt to macro them to turn off when you cast the Wolves spell. Pretty much just tell new shaman to expect the stun to come in a matter of seconds after the wolves reach their target and the spirit walk ablity can be used as long as your fairly close to your wolves. It will only be auto-cast if the wolves themselves are stuck in a root or nova and will not auto-cast it if only the shaman is stuck.

Spec: I don't think we can agree upon a single "best" enhance spec right now because of the nova totem change in 3.3 it is changing the spec quite a bit and we'll likely need a thread to itself to argue over specs for a bit before we can decide what will preform the best post 3.3. So long story short more on this later.

Gear: My recomendations per bracket are as follows:
2v2: 650-850 res depending on your comp (double dps vs. enhance/healer)
3v3: 800-1000 res again depending on comp (amount of CC vs. amount of damage on the team)
5v5: 875-1050 res less about comp and more about any 3-4 dps in this game can kill any class in 5s just having enough to let your healers keep you up is much more important then your personal enhance damage.

In terms of this season not a whole lot of vartion to the gear. You should be wearing mostly relentless pieces the only pve items I would use is the stuff from heroic 25 TOC. The death's choice/grim toll/discs from WG are also nice options if you can get used to playing without a battlemasters otherwise stick with the battlemasters/"get out of shit" trinket. Any of the dps off pieces from heroic toc can be nice damage upgrades as long as your keeping your 4 piece for the SS cooldown and staying near the res guidelines. Again you don't have to be exactlty inside of them they are just my opinnion but for beginning shaman its a good spot to shoot for. The less experience you have the larger you you want your res at. The better you get at managing your defensive cooldowns and working with your healer you can trade in more gear to help our limited offensive output.

I'd also like to do a thread discussing the new 2/4 set bounses for the S9 stuff vs. the ungodly 2 set bonus for the new T10 enhance set. That however should be another thread and we can update this later with what everyone thinks.

This is everything I can think of for now I'll try to skim back a few pages to see if there are other commonly asked enhance questions im missing.

#28 loony

loony
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Wildhammer
  • Misery
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 2727
  • 3v3: 3156
  • 5v5: 2469
  • RBG: 2458

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:06 PM

What adden said. Basically i dont see any reason why a shaman wouldnt spec hw now, also after that they nerfed lwh:s haste.

#29 Nihyn

Nihyn
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Garona
  • Embuscade / Hinterhalt
  • Talents:

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

Great post.
Thanks guys.

#30 Sayokox

Sayokox
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:17 PM

I've finally leveled my shaman to 80, but I am still unsure wich totems to use at some times and more importantly: how do you utilize the 3 preset totem bars?

This is coming from a restoration point of view and I know it obviously depends on the classes you play with, but a small section in the guide dedicated to that would be sweet :)

#31 Blowi

Blowi
  • Moderators
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Agamaggan
  • Blackout

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:18 PM

I've finally leveled my shaman to 80, but I am still unsure wich totems to use at some times and more importantly: how do you utilize the 3 preset totem bars?

This is coming from a restoration point of view and I know it obviously depends on the classes you play with, but a small section in the guide dedicated to that would be sweet :)

Indeed! Will try get that later up tonight :)

If someone for enh/resto could do that as well it would be lovely!

keep doing a gj everyone!

xoxo

#32 Neather

Neather
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:27 PM

To the restoration gemming/Enchants

Depending on the setup you play, you either socket defensively or "aggressive"

Using Spell power+X sockets is the best idea since those gems will end up you having more "itemlvl" then normally.

ie. socketing 23 sp and 20 resi into your chest, makes you lose 1 spellpower, if you would socket 12 sp 10 resi, thats one guideline to use if you care about details

Currently in 3s theres no point to socket mp5, dont think its even that viable in 2s.

As for meta its basicly an choice between 25 sp/stun duration or 32 stam/stun duration

The socketing itself cant be set in stone, its matter of preference, socketing to gain 75ish spell penetration and gaining the hit cap, or close atleast is kinda set in stone tho. This is easily gained from sockets in Spell penetration part, and cloak enchant.

Hit from offpieces and as draenei espicially 5% is easy to gain.

This probably useless and captain obvious post was typed in heavy hangover with difficulties in breathing

#33 Blowi

Blowi
  • Moderators
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Agamaggan
  • Blackout

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

thanks, and added with a little of twist!

looking for more to come (esp. enhance)!

much love and keep doing a great job guys (shaman forums best place to be)

JUST LIKE KTΓ

#34 Eowynnz

Eowynnz
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery
  • Talents: Restoration 2/0/0/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1456
  • 3v3: 2092
  • RBG: 1629

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:03 PM

Though Neather, don't you think Insightful Earthsiege as meta is a good choice? I can see the point in the lowered stun duration, but 600 mana ever 45 seconds seems to outweigh it - 66,67 MP5.

#35 Neather

Neather
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

in my opinion it just doesnt go down to mana fight almost never, no matter what u run

#36 Adden

Adden
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0/.
  • RBG: 1341

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:06 PM

the 10% stun reduction meta gem is definetly worth it as Orc. But As any other race I guess it's just a matter of taste

#37 Eowynnz

Eowynnz
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery
  • Talents: Restoration 2/0/0/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1456
  • 3v3: 2092
  • RBG: 1629

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:08 PM

It does pretty often as turtle, like 40% of our games. But it seems like a question of taste, like Spell Penetration.

#38 Meeper

Meeper
  • Snerp
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

More on enhance gemming/stats/totem sets:

Recommended enhance stats
Hit (melee)- 5%
Hit (spell)- 4%
To achieve these numbers I would use s7 ring, either hit neck/cloak and 1 20ap/10hit gem for 110 rating for 3.35% melee hit and 4.19% spell hit. To reach 5% melee hit I put at least one point in DW spec. You can also supplement your hit with pve gear if it's available.
(racials and talents can add another 2-6% miss, but I wouldn't recommend gearing for that much hit)

Spell penetration - 75 (this isn't a firm # you need to hit, but general consensus for the benefits it provides against MotW and mages' built in resists)

Gemming
Once you've hit the recommended stats, +40ap gems should fill red sockets. Use a +10 stats gem in one blue socket (recommended in weapon since it's likely used in pve as well). You can elect to fill the remaining yellow/blue sockets with ap/resil, ap/hit, ap/crit, or ap/stam if you're a socket bonus whore like me. For non-orcs your meta should be +21crit +3%crit dmg or +21agi +3%crit dmg if you prefer slightly more defensive stats and play with kings. For orcs I prefer using +42ap +10% stun duration reduction to stack with hardiness.

Totem Sets

My sets usually look like this
1. General Set
2. Offensive/Alternative Set
3. Stoneclaw/Grounding

1. This set usually consists of flametongue, tremor, cleansing and windfury. Once the opposing team shows I will swap tremor for SoE if there is no fear, cleansing for mana spring if no DK/hunter/rogue. It is also useful to swap windfury for nature resist against rogues and DKs when garg is up.

2. This set includes flametongue, SoE, cleansing, and windfury. Honestly this set is rarely used and could be set up for non-fearing/poison/disease teams.

3. Stoneclaw/grounding. Also useful to macro this set with battlemaster's and healthstone for a ghetto 'oh shit' button.

For the most part the first 2 sets are only dropped at the start of the game or when switching pillars/position. Keep in mind most totems only have a 30yd range, which is relatively short. Try to avoid using 4 totem sets excessively as it's a huge mana sink.

Another thing I want to note: One of the most important things you can do as a shaman, particularly enhance, is mastering focus shocks. Wind shear is unique in that it is the only short-cd, ranged interrupt that REQUIRES YOU TO BE FACING THE INTERRUPT TARGET. I cannot stress that part enough. You need to be aware of your focus target's position at all times so that not only are you within range, but are able to quickly face your target (JUMP-SPIN FADEAWAY) when needed.

Recognize the most important spells that need to be interrupted and switch focuses accordingly. Mages are almost always a good focus target. Don't forget to quickly re-focus after mirror images or invis. Mage blocks? Swap focus to priest and interrupt the obvious incoming penance and follow it up with a hex. Practice swapping focus from caster dps to healers to get a kill.

As enhance you're often the focus target of the other team. This means you can partially dictate the other team's positioning by where you move. Particularly against melee cleaves like TSG, you can drag the 2 melee away from/out of los of their healer into a position that forces the healer into shock range.

#39 Christo123

Christo123
  • Members
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Sunstrider
  • Blackout
  • Talents:

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

It does pretty often as turtle, like 40% of our games. But it seems like a question of taste, like Spell Penetration.

I find it, that when it comes down to a mana game, we're always able to co-ordinate offensive pressure together with peeling for drinking.

Many times its just about playing as mana wise as possible (eg, dont purge 5x hots, and dont purge 7 trash debuffs to get wings etc).

Purge at the right times, other than that drink or position yourself to not get switched to.

Depending on the comp you play i would suggest playing as offensive as possible all the time. Shamans dont really have many defensive cooldowns, so allowed other team to gain pressure is really not good.

Againts many comps tho, its not always easy and you feel really shit on because of your limited variation of abilites. For example melee cleave or rmps training you.

#40 Blowi

Blowi
  • Moderators
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Agamaggan
  • Blackout

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:27 PM

thanks a lot snerp, i'll remake some of it again a bit later on !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<