27 replies to this topic

#1 Tyveris

Tyveris
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:00 AM

Title says it all. Heres the official word from Blizzard:

Blizzard said:

IRVINE, Calif. - February 14, 2008 - Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced plans to launch a new type of tournament competition  using the Arena system in World of Warcraft®, its popular subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game. The tournaments will take place on special realms that allow competitors to instantly create level-70 characters with epic equipment, placing the focus on tactics and execution rather than normal adventuring.
"eSports is one of the most exciting facets of online gaming today," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "We're pleased to expand World of Warcraft's tournament options for players who want to focus mainly on the competitive aspect of the game."
The tournaments are scheduled to start in April with two rounds of online qualifiers in Europe, South Korea, North America, and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau. Each qualifier round will have a per-competitor entry fee -- €15/£12 in Europe; 20,000 won in South Korea; $20 in North America; and NT$450 in the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau -- and will run for six weeks. During this time, teams will play 3-vs.-3 matches on the tournament realm in their region, with the top four teams from each round advancing to the regional finals to compete for more than $27,000 in cash prizes. Winners from each regional will then be invited to a global championship event to compete for $120,000 in cash prizes, including a $75,000 grand prize.
Stay tuned to http://www.worldofwarcraft.com for further tournament details.

Tournament Rules: http://www.worldofwa...rnament/faq.xml
Press Release: http://www.blizzard....ss/080214.shtml
Blue Post: http://forums.worldo...icId=4665618488

#2 Krigare

Krigare
  • Members
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:28 AM

Should be a lot of fun

Why cant they do this more often and just keep it online?

By more often I mean all the time.

#3 Youdienow

Youdienow
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Talnivarr
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:43 AM

If they can also fix a spectatortool or automaticly make games get recorded by the server or something, imagine.

#4 Kadrix

Kadrix
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 2/0/0/1/1/.

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:36 AM

Goddamnit tyv I was about to post this :)
Posted Image

#5 Fierss

Fierss
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Protection

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:00 AM

I fail to see where it says how to qualify.

#6 Kcolraw

Kcolraw
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Deathwing
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Affliction
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:02 AM

you just need to pay the entry fee from what i see

#7 Tyveris

Tyveris
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:03 AM

Is it possible this will completely ruin high level competition on the regular servers?

#8 Teirisias

Teirisias
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:06 AM

Tyveris said:

Is it possible this will completely ruin high level competition on the regular servers?

I doubt it. Even if it does, I'd say that this is an improvement over the current ladder system. I'd much rather compete with other top players than wait 10 minutes to play a game worth 0-3 points.

#9 Grup

Grup
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Agamaggan
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:51 AM

Won't this essentially be like the system we have in place now, except like having everyone on the same battlegroup?  Are the "top" teams going to be the ones that farm the lesser teams most, or what?  That said, I think this should always be up, year round, for cross-battlegroup play.

#10 faction

faction
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:54 AM

Grup said:

Won't this essentially be like the system we have in place now, except like having everyone on the same battlegroup?  Are the "top" teams going to be the ones that farm the lesser teams most, or what?  That said, I think this should always be up, year round, for cross-battlegroup play.

yeah it's not really a big thing... it's like every battlegroup combined, except with an entry fee, free epicced out level 70s for the retards, and prize money
Posted Image

#11 Taifun

Taifun
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

3v3 tournament... what?
Sick cash prizes for watching countercomping, way to go blizztard, way to go.

#12 Rades

Rades
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Jubei'Thos
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:08 PM

so we play from our own computers eh?

#13 tristantio

tristantio
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Twisting Nether
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents:

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:24 PM

Taifun said:

3v3 tournament... what?
Sick cash prizes for watching countercomping, way to go blizztard, way to go.

You get to make any class you want, and in the final weeks you can't change your team roster.  How would anyone be counter-comping?  You've got to find the most balanced team to beat the largest pool of teams being run by other players.

#14 Grup

Grup
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Agamaggan
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:21 AM

tristantio said:

You get to make any class you want, and in the final weeks you can't change your team roster.  How would anyone be counter-comping?  You've got to find the most balanced team to beat the largest pool of teams being run by other players.

Because you can counter-comp your way to the top ratings, and then you move on.  You can queue dodge.  The problem is, how can you get around this?  You can do the very same thing right now on live.  A lot of people have the belief that the highest rated team isn't always the best team on their battlegroup.  How would this be different, exactly?  Let's say there's 1800, 1900, 2000 rated teams transfering there to play.  What's to stop someone from farming those teams and queue dodging the other great teams?  It's based on rating, after all.  

Blizzard needs a way to display every team's game history.  Atleast then we could see everyone's path to their rating.

#15 Final

Final

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:58 AM

From what I understand you are scheduled to play against certain teams, so there will be no queue dodging, don't quote me on this though.

#16 Ridzik

Ridzik
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Anub'arak
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:21 AM

there are already not enough teams queuing 2k+ in most realmpools to offer a variaty of opponents day and night. a tournament event realm won't help with that!

introduce a spectator mode instead. would make it a lot more esportish.

#17 Thoranous

Thoranous
  • Junkies

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

Teirisias said:

I doubt it. Even if it does, I'd say that this is an improvement over the current ladder system. I'd much rather compete with other top players than wait 10 minutes to play a game worth 0-3 points.

Dunno who you are playing but ummmm unless you are playing at midnight there are hardly any 2-3 point teams during the day.

#18 Teirisias

Teirisias
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Subtlety

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:59 AM

Thoranous said:

Dunno who you are playing but ummmm unless you are playing at midnight there are hardly any 2-3 point teams during the day.

There are plenty of teams around 2k, I'm talking about higher up, closer to 2300. I play 0-3 point teams all day at that rating. Nothing better than fighting a counter comp with 3 Gladiators and getting 0 points for it!

#19 Thoranous

Thoranous
  • Junkies

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:05 AM

Teirisias said:

There are plenty of teams around 2k, I'm talking about higher up, closer to 2300. I play 0-3 point teams all day at that rating. Nothing better than fighting a counter comp with 3 Gladiators and getting 0 points for it!

That's why I'm selling teams=p

#20 Saffira

Saffira
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Stormscale
  • Cyclone
  • Talents:

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:55 PM

Do people who live in Fiji get to play? What about Canada

Cause I will be hella pissed if my teamates cannot do this shit.

In addition, will I still be able to wear my sweet T6 gear? or do I have to learn how to play a druid?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<