World of Warcraft Esports: 2018 Plans Revealed
THE 2018 WOW ARENA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP (AWC)
The biggest event in WoW esports will be supported by a full calendar of tournaments around the world, ensuring only the most battle-tested and proven teams have a shot at the 2018 WoW Arena World Championship. At the championship tournament itself, teams will be fighting for their share of a $280,000 prize pool and WoW Arena glory.
We'll be back later in the year to discuss how teams from China, Latin America, and Asia-Pacific make their way to the 2018 Arena World Championship.
INTRODUCING SEASONAL FINALS FOR NORTH AMERICA AND EUROPE
*drum roll* We are delighted to announce TWO seasonal finals where the best North American and European Teams will clash for the first time ever outside of the World Championship. The first season finals will be decided in March at a live event.
- Each event will feature eight teams: The top four teams from Europe and the top four teams from North America.
- Both events in 2018 will offer $100,000 prize pools—that’s two opportunities for players in Europe and North America to land a share of $100k before the World Championship is even on the horizon.
- The eight teams will also be competing for a spot in the WoW Arena World Championship, rewarded to the winners at each of the two events.
You won’t want to miss either of these milestone events where your favorite players and teams will fight for regional pride, a spot in the WoW Arena World Championship, and a share of $100,000. Dates and additional details on these events to come.
MULTIPLE SEASONS OF ARENA CUPS IN NORTH AMERICA & EUROPE
We are starting early this year with the first Arena Cups just around the corner. Arena Cups will be spread across the entire year and will offer not only a cash prize but also AWC Points.
Teams with the most points from each season will be invited to compete at that season’s Finals event, while the top overall teams of the year from each region will be invited to the Arena World Championship.
- The first of three Arena Cup seasons starts Jan 31
- There will be nine (up from five) Arena Cups in each region (18 total) over the course of the year
- A $10,000 (up from $6,000) prize pool will be available for each of the 18 cups
- The top 12 (up from six) teams at an Arena Cup event will earn points
- New point distribution system will reward consistency
- Teams in 2018 will follow the same guidelines and rules regarding roster changes as last year—
please refer to the official rules for additional information (coming soon)